Sign in to follow this  

Instrument cluster power port

A picture really will not do it for you as I have a 'special' wiring setup at my instruments. I no longer use the OEM speedo, having replaced it with a Trail Tech Vapor. But here is the skinny.

The plug that goes to the stock speedo, has a red (always hot) and Orange (hot only when the key is on, not off or park) and a black with a white tracer (ground). I removed the plug from the OEM speedo and put female bullet connectors on it, each has two openings. I did this so I could have my Vapor always on (it turns itself off after 15 minutes) or have it on only when the key is 'on'. The Vapor has a built in battery to retain settings however, it has a reputation to lose trip-meter and a few other values when external power is off when it toggles to the internal battery, which I have confirmed. So.... I have it connected to the always hot, red lead. The extra slots enabled me to install a power plug. I use the square Molex ones, I like them and they can handle a lot of current, same type used in the battery packs of RC cars. Because I have both an orange and a red plug available, I can easily change the power supplied to the Molex plug from switched to always hot. I use the plug for my GPS as it draws little current. I would not plug/attach anything requiring more than an amp to this as the stock wiring harness is already maxed out.

Did this help?

Yes, I have a good idea how that goes. I'm hard-wiring my GPS and I was thinking of using a 2-connector trailer connector like that found on the Battery Tender.

Thanks again.

Yes, I have a good idea how that goes. I'm hard-wiring my GPS and I was thinking of using a 2-connector trailer connector like that found on the Battery Tender.

Thanks again.

Why don't you just use a ciggy lighter, that way you can move your GPS from on vehicle to another?:worthy:

Just a suggestion. 👍

DRZACCY.JPG

DRZACCY2.JPG

Why don't you just use a ciggy lighter, that way you can move your GPS from on vehicle to another?:worthy:

Just a suggestion. 👍

That's a very cool mod. The die key is very cool, too!

Unfortunately, I don't think the connection will be any more reliable than internal AA batteries when the vibrations really get going.

I've had the plug came loose on bumpy trails in our Jeep. I got barewire (no lighter plug) cable to fix that. I got another barewire cable for the bike.