Sign in to follow this  

Trailwing 302

I sliced my stock WRR rear tire on some metal. According to several vendors the OEM 120/80-18 size has been discontinued by Bridgestone. (Thanks Yamaha/Bridgestone.) I have found the trailwings acceptable for my use and would like to replace it like for like. One vendor said he can get me a TW 302 in size 4.60-18, but it is currently out of stock. So here I sit. Looks to me like the 4.60 is very close in size to the 120/18. Any down side to the change, other than I can't find one right now?

I might have to go to Dunlap 606's, but my riding is mostly on dirt/gravel roads with lots of pavement getting there. I really think the trailwings are a better fit. Any comments?

Hmm there are some other tires that could do those duties as well,like the TKC80 but its a spendy tire

Even on the Yamaha WRR parts microfiche it shows the front tire (TW301) and gives a part # but it skips right over the rear tire.

I ride mostly hardpack, pavement and gravel roads as well and have found that the IRC GP110 is an excellent tire, It just isn't too good in the mud or sand.

Oh, and they last a long time.

Thanks for the reply. My neighbor, Southwest Moto Tires, sells the TKC80 for twenty bucks more than a comparable 606. Not a real disqualifier. Is the TKC a good tire?

Thanks for the reply too, but if the IRC isn't good in the sand it won't work down here.

It comes highly recommended for guys riding ADV bikes that do a lot of road along with gravel and dirt.

I'd say its one of the most recommended besides the 606 but the 606 is way more dirt focused and noisy on the road.

The trailwing 301/302 shouldnt be very good in the sand either, if you want to be better off in the sand then go 606's you'll get more road noise but supposedly the 606s once scrubbed in are remarkably good on the street also.

I try to avoid sand as much as possible but it does happen. Think I'll give the Continentals a try. Appreciate the discussion all.