Sign in to follow this  

Got my Sportman Supermoto kit.....

Package arrived from Motostrano this morning with my Sportsman Supermoto kit and I'm stoked! Going to try and get everything installed this weekend but my son's 5th birthday is on Saturday so it may have to wait. I may need to buy a bike jack to get this done 'cause my weak ass can't lift my DR-Z onto my bike stand!

P1010306.jpg

P1010307.jpg

And here's how she sits right now. I just finished the Acerbis Supermotard fender install:

P1010304.jpg

P1010305.jpg

Nice. Distanzas are AWESOME. I run those on my 17's & they are great for pavement & good for fireroad duty too.

I've trouble lifting my bike onto the stand too. Kills me.

C

Hey PTGarcia,

Just some advice about that EBC rotor. Don't know what kind of climate you live in but I have had problems with EBC rotors rusting up on me really bad. I found a solution that is working great for mine. I removed the rotor from the carrier (very easy, use a flat blade screw driver and some patience), then I painted the rotor with PJ1 VHT (very high temp) Clear Coat. I put two very light coats on mine. I then ran it on my bike, being careful for the first 60 miles or so and haven't had one problem with it since. My brakes work awesome, any clear coat that got on the pads burned off and it works perfectly now.

You may want to do this before you mount it up to your bike, get it rusty then have to deal with cleaning the rust off like I had to. Trust me, it's a pain in the ass unless you have access to a big bead blast cabinet.

Ryan

Thanks for the comments and advice, guys.

Twinjetguy,

Thanks for the heads up on rust. I'll look into clear coating it like you said. But I do live in SoCal and don't get much moisture around here!

So Cal you say? I live in Carlsbad, right next to Oceanside and about 30 minutes north of SD. Trust me, it's going to rust up on you. I could take pics of the EBC rotors I have on my YZF750 that I haven't clear coated yet if you like 👍

After you clear coat them, it's ok for it to rust up on the surface where the pad hits, because that comes off the next time you ride it. It's when the rust builds up in the buttons where it becomes a problem. Mine rusted up enough to where the rotor wasn't floating anymore.

Let me know if you need help finding the paint.

So Cal you say? I live in Carlsbad, right next to Oceanside and about 30 minutes north of SD. Trust me, it's going to rust up on you. I could take pics of the EBC rotors I have on my YZF750 that I haven't clear coated yet if you like 👍

After you clear coat them, it's ok for it to rust up on the surface where the pad hits, because that comes off the next time you ride it. It's when the rust builds up in the buttons where it becomes a problem. Mine rusted up enough to where the rotor wasn't floating anymore.

Let me know if you need help finding the paint.

You're not too far from me. I'm in Fontana/Rancho Cucamonga.

Okay, you talked me into it! Is the paint something I can find at the hardware/home improvement stores?

I will tell you what. If you can't find the paint that you need, I will send you the rest of my can free of charge as long as you send it back to me so I can do the rotors on my YZF750, deal? You don't need to use too much of it, just to get a good even coat over it.

The paint that you want is made by PJ1, and it's called VHT. You want the Header paint, and not the engine paint. get it in clear coat too. You would probably be able to find it at a hot rod shop, or possibly an auto parts store. See if they can get it. If not, then I will just send you mine. I work in shipping so it's not a big deal.

Remember, if you do it, don't get carried away with the coating. Just two light coats on it and you're good to go.

Well i can tell you that you dont need road tires to chase a supermoto up a mountain, chimchim can attest to that, but i hope they work out for ya. Maybe see you at palomar in the future.

I checked out the page, and that isn't the stuff. You want to make sure to get the VHT Header paint. It's the only one with a heat rating that is high enough. I get mine at the local hot rod shop named Smoky's Speed Shop. I think smrookie found it at his local auto parts store, not sure though.

My S came with that SM fender. had to get rid of it. dirt hits you in the face. I think 21in wheels dont work well with it.

smart move for most people.....well, like me 👍

I'm looking for some good street tires though, look forward to your report!

My S came with that SM fender. had to get rid of it. dirt hits you in the face. I think 21in wheels dont work well with it.

I'm not too worried about that right now. 90%+ of my riding will be on road. I bought the bike mainly for commuting.

Whats the real difference riding offroad with street tires on a 17/17 setup vs. 18/21? We all know the deathwings are... death, but some folks have posted some pretty awesome rides on street supermoto tires...