Sign in to follow this  

Shprockets for myne peeg

So, I've had my BRP for a little over a month, did the dave's mods(big smile), uni filter, desmogged, desnorkled and I finally took it off road last weekend for my first time.

So after finding myself stuck in first winding it out or in 2nd chuggling along, I've decided that maybe I should entertain the 14/48 sprocket combo that so many BRP owners have gone to already.

First, how much will this change my on road fuel mileage and speed?

Second, what manufacturer is the one to get what I need? Basically, who makes a good rear/front that won't get eaten alive in a couple of rides?

14/45 seems to work well for me. Renthal. A comfortable 65 on road & still enough grunt for sand washes & rocky mountain trails? We all ride differently!

I'll warn that 14/48 is a little buzzy at 50+ if you do a lot of slab riding. I found myself bouncing between gears with it in certain offroad situations with 14/48 anyway, but it does work well most other times. I went to 15/48 partly to see if my engine has the guts to go triple digits. 👍 That, and I do a lot of higher speed desert riding.

You can still get the 14/48 gears and use them to mix 'n' match, though.

HA HA HA. That title made me think of the old SNL skit with Mike Myers...

NOW EEZ THE TYME ON SHPROCKETS WHEN VEE DANCE!!

cover_story-2.jpg

So, I've had my BRP for a little over a month, did the dave's mods(big smile), uni filter, desmogged, desnorkled and I finally took it off road last weekend for my first time.

So after finding myself stuck in first winding it out or in 2nd chuggling along, I've decided that maybe I should entertain the 14/48 sprocket combo that so many BRP owners have gone to already.

First, how much will this change my on road fuel mileage and speed?

Second, what manufacturer is the one to get what I need? Basically, who makes a good rear/front that won't get eaten alive in a couple of rides?

So you're on the stock gearing now?

Not a reallly big rear tire?

14-48 is the 'tallest' I'll run if I have a 'big' rear tire like a 130 or 140 MT21, or a terrorflex. (I usually run 13-48 with a T-flex).

I'd start easy, just plop in a JT or sunstar 14-tooth front.

If that's not low enough, I'd buy the cheapest 13-tooth front sprocket you can find, and just try it. If the 13 is the thing for you, go get a 48 tooth rear sprocket and run 14-48.

I do not think a 13-tooth wears the sliders or the chain faster, but, the 13 tooth sprocket itself wears out fairly quickly (it hooks).

Once either sprocket wears, it will wear the chain quickly.

I think if you just change a 13 often enough the chain will wear just as long.

Save the 13T for when you get a really hairy ride lined up- with 13-48 the XRL is unstoppable!

Dave

14/45 seems to work well for me. Renthal. A comfortable 65 on road & still enough grunt for sand washes & rocky mountain trails? We all ride differently!

The stock rear is already a 45, right? Mine gets buzzy in its stock configuration above 55 already. I get numb throttle hand if I ride over 20 minutes or so. I do have a tendancy to give the death grip though.

I'm going to be replacing the handlebars and grips in the near future as well and will mre than likely be going with Pro Taper CR highbends and a rubber mount riser in an effort to quell some of that vibration. So any suggestions as to which Pro taper is the better one? I'm sticking with the 7/8 size.

14/47 das Schwein wird Schrei auf der Autobahn ...

14/45 versuchen die zuerst ...

Schraube der Affe!

Prost

👍

Higher bars, & better tires changed the bike night & day for me?