Sign in to follow this  

Big End Replacement, What do i need part wise? 06 YZ250

Hey guy's managed to change my piston successfully and survived the 12 hour enduro!! 👍 However the bike started to sound a bit rough towards the end and thought i'd done something wrong, so i stripped her down again and found the top end to be sound. However i've found play in the big end (not much but as she's apart i'd better do it). What do i need part wise to sort this? Do i need to get a new con rod kit or just a new big end bearing? What other bits do i need? A full gasket kit, Seal kit, Main engine bearings is there anything else you can think of? My dad (the mechanic!) hasn't got the time to help me so im going to have to take it somewhere to get it fixed. I'd rather supply the bits myself and i'd just like to know exactally what to get. You guys have been spot on so far so i'd like your help once again! Cheers Andy

Not sure about prices in the Kingdom, but here its about the same price to replace the crank with a Hot Rods kit rather than rebuild one. If you do plan on rebuilding the crank then I've always been told to replace the bearing & rod and then a machinist will press it back together and true it.

I've only replaced cranks though, so I cannot speak from experience.

I've seen hot rods kits for the yz. Are they any good? Their about £170 over here. Not sure how much it would cost to get a decent rod kit but there are cheap mitaka (or something like that!) kits on ebay for about £40 or hot rods for bout £70. If i were to go down this route though i'd go genuine yam. Can anyone list everything i would need?

Try a Wiseco lower end rebuild kit. It comes in a box with everything you need for the rebuild (crank, bearings, gaskets, and seals). If you are going to split the cases, you might as well do it all right and avoid the same exercise in the near future.

You'll also need a set of rings and a top end gasket kit. While its apart you might as well put fresh rings in it (You are already 12 hours in so just do it).

If its done right you shouldn't have to touch a thing for the next 30-50 hours when your top is due again for a fresh piston/rings.

Make sure if you have someone else press the crank together get somebody that has done this before. The rod end needs a certain amount of side clearance or else it will seize.

What do you think my best bet would be buy a new rod and crank complete, E.g Hot Rods. Or buy a new big end and have it installed, i expect it would probably be about the same amount as getting a new big end pressed in? also if you had a new big end pressed do you have to have it balanced? with all these costs a new kit sounds the cheaper option!!

I've got a hot rod crank in my 06. No complaints.

It's at least on par with OEM quality.

I've actually got a perfect 20hr old OEM crank in my garage right now. Too bad you're on the other side of the pond. Shipping costs would be a killer.

Bought the wiseco full bottom end kit off ebay in the end from the u.s. It worked out at about $265 Inc postage and should include eveything i need to do the job. Even at $265 it's much cheaper than any option in the uk. If i bought hot rods crank kit over here it would be $300+ and then i'd have to get a full gasket set, main engine bearings Etc do its alot cheaper. I just hope the kits as good as the oem parts?. I know MCDRZ reccomended it. Doe's anyone know if it come's with a full gasket kit or just the bottom half? Just got to find someone willing to do the work now as my old man dosen't have the time!!

try and find "offroad only" its a shop in mid wales and they sell cranks for about 160-170 i think. how did you do in the dawn to dusk? where do you usually race? your bike looks familiar

It comes with all the bearings, seals, and gaskets (as well as the full crank/con rod) for the bottom end. You will need to get rings and top gaskets. I've seen nothing with Wiseco to suggest it is not a quality product from pistons to clutch baskets. Doesn't seem likely that they would put together a substandard bottom kit and the price is very competitive.

We came 34th in 2 man clubman but my partner came off and lost our transponder and his last lap wasn't counted because he didn't explain to the lap scorer properly!! :worthy: Still it didn't hurt us to much as we would only have came in the late 20's if it had counted. I ride in the south west (Taunton Region) in ORE and Exmoor enduro clubs. The Yam shouldn't be to familiar if your round here cause it's only just had its cairoli makeover 👍 Did you race the 12 hour?

You can have the cases split and waiting. The crank is ready to roll.