Sign in to follow this  

Unique and Cheapest dual sport solution?!?

I have a 2 stroke RM 85 L, its on a 125 frame. I am planning on legalizing it for some short distance street use, no cross country trips or anything like that.

Heres what I have planned:

First of all, I'm cheap and lazy, so instead of hooking up the lighting to the bike like everyone else, I am planning on having a self contained unit run solely from a battery.

http://ebatteriestogo.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EBTG&Product_Code=12-422005

Next, I plan on buying this kit (if anyone knows of any better/cheaper, please say so).

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit3.htm

And then I will wire it together, creating my own wiring. Just from the included switch to the various components. (Again, I'm cheap).

So, what do you all think? I realize that I will have to charge the battery just about every time I ride, but I have a portable charger so it should be easy. And also, I don't plan on using the headlight all the time because that is the main power drainer.

If anyone sees any problems, or has any experience with that kit (I'm kinda nervous that it might be crap), please let me know. Any help or tips on dual sporting would be appreciated.

Oh dear...

Battery needs a bracket or tray to go into. Brake switch needs a mount, so do turn signals. Wiring involves wire, connectors and tools. None of this mixes well with "cheap and lazy"

Is Ohio a "headlight must always be on" state? A headlight will obliterate a battery faster than you can imagine.

I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but you can be cheap, or you can be lazy, but you can't be both, and expect a project to be anything but a failure.

Well, I guess im not all that lazy, just cheap.

No, Ohio does not require headlight use during the daytime, so the only reason I really even will have a headlight is to be legal.

As for the tray/mounting, like I said it is a 85 on a 125 frame, so there is a fair amount of extra space for a battery, I dont think that is too much of a problem.

I already have the necesary mounting for turn signals, but I don't know what you mean about the brake switch. Do you mean the brake switch that replaces the banjo or are you talking about something else?

my XR does have a head and taillight, but the signals and brake (all L.E.D.) are all run from a homemade battery pack. I did it this way because I wanted it completely removeable if/when the bike is sold or worn out.

It uses 10 AA batteries, for a total of 15v (alkaline), or 12v (NiMH). Easy/cheap to replace or recharge. $50 for the switch assembly, $50 for lights/flasher, and $10 for brakeswitch/wiring. All it took was an hour of time and a soldering gun.