1973 Rickman I just bought for $1,000

IMAG0032.jpg

Moved here to Tennessee about 2 years ago and one of my neighbors has had this unfirmilar dirtbike in his basement that I noticed and I started talking to him about it. He said bike is from England with a German motor on it. We finally got it out today, fixed the clutch and threw some gas in it after sitting for 20 years, well of corse it will start its german! Anyways it started we let it idle for few minutes because it needed it then after it started runnign smoother we got it out and rode it. Over all this bike impressed me with how strong it was. Defanetly glad I got it especially at the price!?

Thanks for looking. Tell me what you think. I found new stickers for the tank so im going to have it repainted.

• Like 1

IMAG0032.jpg

Moved here to Tennessee about 2 years ago and one of my neighbors has had this unfirmilar dirtbike in his basement that I noticed and I started talking to him about it. He said bike is from England with a German motor on it. We finally got it out today, fixed the clutch and threw some gas in it after sitting for 20 years, well of corse it will start its german! Anyways it started we let it idle for few minutes because it needed it then after it started runnign smoother we got it out and rode it. Over all this bike impressed me with how strong it was. Defanetly glad I got it especially at the price!:worthy:

Thanks for looking. Tell me what you think. I found new stickers for the tank so im going to have it repainted.

Nice bike ?

Basic specs;

RICKMAN 125 MX RATING *****

PURPOSE: Racing

PRICE $945 approx.

DISPLACEMENT: 123cc

ENGINE TYPE: Zundapp piston-port two-cycle

LUBRICATION: Pre-mix

IGNITION: Bosch electronic

TRANSMISSION: 5-speed, left side shift

CLAIMED HORSEPOWER: N/A @8500rpm

CLAIMED WEIGHT: 199 pounds

WHEELBASE: 53 inches

GROUND CLEARANCE: 10 inches

FRAME: Double downtube, full cradle

FRONT SUSPENSION: Telescopic forks/Betor

REAR SUSPENSION: Swingarm w/Girling shocks

FRONT TIRE: 2.75x21 knobby

REAR TIRE: 4.00x18 knobby

WHEELS: Steel

FUEL CAPACITY: 2 gallons

INSTRUMENTATION: None

COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE: England

Nice find....a riding buddy of mine is really into vintage bikes and is currently rebuilding that same bike. Word to the wise, don't take the trans apart unless you have to. On the Rickman's all the gears were on the same shaft and ball bearings where used to engage/disengage the various gears. They need to be shimmed properly or implosion will result. It's a very compact design but has some faults due to complexity.

• 1 year later...

Very nice!! 1972 were blue 73 & 74 were the red ones i am rebuilding a 72 no where nere as nice as yours but it is my winter project where did you locate new tank stickers I want to have mine painted so I could use a pair

Basic specs;

RICKMAN 125 MX RATING *****

PURPOSE: Racing

PRICE $945 approx.

DISPLACEMENT: 123cc

ENGINE TYPE: Zundapp piston-port two-cycle

LUBRICATION: Pre-mix

IGNITION: Bosch electronic

TRANSMISSION: 5-speed, left side shift

CLAIMED HORSEPOWER: N/A @8500rpm

CLAIMED WEIGHT: 199 pounds

WHEELBASE: 53 inches