Sign in to follow this  

Back to the drawing board, re: tires!

Well folks, back to the drawing board on locating some 50/50 tires like the Kenda 270's. Anybody have any suggestions? I ordered a pair nearly 3 weeks ago from JC Whitney because their site said they had them in stock. Not true. I received an email today from them: backordered until Sept. 16th. So I cancelled the order.

I am scratching my head as to why there is such a shortage. Demand can't be that high. I need recommendations on a good pair of 50/50 tires, and sizes if possible. The sizes in inches, not metric please. I have those sizes already. I mean the number like 4.10, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

apparant surge in dual sport in the us and most people buy the cheap ones.

i spend for quality, so i use a mefo explorer rear in a 130/5.10 size and a conti tck-80 front with bridgestone 3mm heavy duty tubes.

hey man the world works on metric (imo a better system) except for the US so get used to it.

130mm=5.1" , 120mm=4.5"

the smart dr riders use a 130 rear tires...

the not smart smart ones are fearfull and stick with the less traction stock size.

these places show real time stock.

consider a shinko 700 rear and a irc gp-1 front from mc super store.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=200&osCsid=2b220d8760e8d195d39662de407c46eb

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/DEPT/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Dual-Sport-Tires-Tires.aspx

i too tried finding Kendas at multiple retailers...seems like they should be close to having stock pretty soon. I got a front, but the back (4.10 X18) was out of stock. I even scored a free 4.5X18 becuase of an inventory issue.

Anyway, I settled with Maxxis M6006 in a 120/80-18..the tire costs me nearly 60 bux, it looks mean, rides smooth. Unfortunately it looks like Im going to get less than 3000 miles out of them.

I am already thinking of puting a kenda on reserve.

apparant surge in dual sport in the us and most people buy the cheap ones.

i spend for quality, so i use a mefo explorer rear in a 130/5.10 size and a conti tck-80 front with bridgestone 3mm heavy duty tubes.

hey man the world works on metric (imo a better system) except for the US so get used to it.

130mm=5.1" , 120mm=4.5"

the smart dr riders use a 130 rear tires...

the not smart smart ones are fearfull and stick with the less traction stock size.

these places show real time stock.

consider a shinko 700 rear and a irc gp-1 front from mc super store.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=200&osCsid=2b220d8760e8d195d39662de407c46eb

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/DEPT/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Dual-Sport-Tires-Tires.aspx

Yea, I know about the metric thing, I've been using metric stuff for many years in emergency medicine. Unfortunately, TIRE VENDORS online don't! They go by the SAE numbers. Anyway, I appreciate your links. I ended up ordering from American Motorcycle Tire. They show the Kenda's in stock. I went with the 5.10-17 (almost ordered an 18 by mistake!) and for the front, a 3.25-21 (equals the 90/90 that's on there now). But I put a stipulation in the comments field that they are only to process the order IF the tires are indeed in stock and ready to ship. No back-orders will be accepted. Plus, they accept paypal so that was an added bonus, as I had about half the total amount available in Paypal to help offset the cost.

Thanks again.

Tom

i ordered some tires from Dennis Kirk, and they are also backordered. What i'm hearing is China has stopped tire production because of the Olympics. This will also effect other non-China producers since people will buy what is availible. I got a set of Duro tires and they also told me mid September.

Well folks, back to the drawing board on locating some 50/50 tires like the Kenda 270's. Anybody have any suggestions? I ordered a pair nearly 3 weeks ago from JC Whitney because their site said they had them in stock. Not true. I received an email today from them: backordered until Sept. 16th. So I cancelled the order.

I am scratching my head as to why there is such a shortage. Demand can't be that high. I need recommendations on a good pair of 50/50 tires, and sizes if possible. The sizes in inches, not metric please. I have those sizes already. I mean the number like 4.10, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I orderred a Kenda 270 from AMT, and had it in 6 days, in other words, last Friday.

if you look at some of the chinese bikes coming over... you notice that Kendas are OEM.

The Kendas on a Qlink 200 enduro has the same sizes i need.

I orderred a Kenda 270 from AMT, and had it in 6 days, in other words, last Friday.

I have been in fairly extensive communications with a guy from AMT, and they are TOTALLY out of everything except the Continentals, which are extremely pricy. 2 to 6 weeks out on any tires such as the Kendas, Cheng Shin (sp?) and so forth. Looks like we're pretty screwed until someone starts making them in greater numbers. Friggin' Chinese. I knew there was a reason I never ate Chinese food... 👍

I just got a shinko 244 tire from bike bandit @ 32.68.

P1010025-1.jpg

So far they seem ok. They hold pretty good on the street but don't seem to hold as good as the Trail Wings. You have to lean it over pretty good to tell. They haven't slid out on me yet but they don't seem to be as steady on the road. I read some reviews on them and all the buyers liked them.....

They were in stock and I got them in a few days.

You will probably find they are. Every site I tried ordering them from showed them in stock, only to have them be backordered.

I was notified Saturday that my tire was shipped. Tires Unlimited does have the Kenda 270 and it was selling for around $53 I think is what I paid, plus shipping.

I was notified Saturday that my tire was shipped. Tires Unlimited does have the Kenda 270 and it was selling for around $53 I think is what I paid, plus shipping.

OK, I'll check with them, thanks!

My Kenda 270 did arrive Thursday UPS from Tires Unlimited. I'm going to try to squeeze a few more miles out of my TrailWings before I do the swap.

Those Shino's look like a copy of the IRC GP-1. GP-1's are a a great 50-50 tire.

They hold the road pretty good so far. Not as good as the trailwings though.

I don't believe with the tread pattern they will last long. They seem to be a pretty good 50/50 tire for the price.

I ride so little off road my next tire will be some 90/10 tire.

But so far they are worth the money and they got them to me in a hurry.

The IRC-GP1, Shinko SR244 and Kenda 270 are all very similar.

I got 8000km out of my rear Shinko and am at 17000km on the front and it's only got a thousand or two left in it. But I ride tyres until they're bald.

Also the Shinko may come branded as a "Golden Boy".