Sign in to follow this  

Mototune break-in

I broke in my big bore the mototune way today.

Put some petroleum oil in and went on a 20-mile ride. When I got back, I drained the oil and realized I didn't have enough of the petroleum oil for an oil change so I had to use 10/40 semi-synthetic I had sitting in my garage.

Please somebody tell me that it's ok to keep on riding with that oil in (I know that regular petroleum oil is recommended for the first 200 miles). Or should I go buy a few more quarts of some thicker oil?

no friction modifiers allowed

do you have a iron bore or a plated bore?iron bore i would say do not run,plated i dont see how it would hurt.

It may only affect your clutch. Does your clutch slip now?

On a side note; w t f does having an iron bore or plated bore have to do with synthetic oil?

Semi-synthetic has no regulation on how much synthetic oil is actually mixed with the regular oil but I would still drain it just in case. Oil is cheap and you only get one chance to break the rings in. Full break will take 1000 miles probably.

Semi-synthetic has no regulation on how much synthetic oil is actually mixed with the regular oil but I would still drain it just in case. Oil is cheap and you only get one chance to break the rings in. Full break will take 1000 miles probably.

that's something i haven't heard of for a long time.... 👍

I'm definitely draining the oil tomorrow. I bought some Valvoline 20w-50 4-stroke oil tonight. That one should be better since it's not synthetic.

Just wonder if it's too late now since I ran the bike for around 10 miles with the semi-synthetic...

your motor is already broke in, run whatever oil you want

As mentioned "semi-synthetic" is kind of like "extra medium".

Is there a way to find out whether the rings seated properly?

Since changing the oil, I can feel a lot more vibration coming from the cylinder head. Or am I just fooling myself?

I really don't want to ruin a brand new piston/cylinder just because I switched to the wrong oil too early 👍

Is there a way to find out whether the rings seated properly?

you need to reread mototune website. I dont think he's gospel, but he's right on this: you're rings are as broken in as they are going to get

• Like 1

Do you realize how many cars come with full synthetic oil from the factory. If synthetic was so slippery it prevented engines from breaking in wouldn't everyone use it to prevent wear?

I think break in is as much 6 of one and half dozen of the other.. It's much like "what oil to is best" etc..

One thing for sure is that bike specific Semi and Fully Synthetic won't make your clutch slip!! Its urban myth cause bike oils don't contain the same anti friction stuff that cars do..

iron liners need break in time,thus do not use syntetic.plated seal immediately there brainiac.*** back at ya.

Replaced the semi-synthetic with some 4-stroke Valvoline.

Pulls real nice 👍

Although, I do feel a lot more vibration coming from the engine after installing the big bore. Is that common or is that a sign of a failed installation?

iron liners need break in time.

no they don't. Just my experience

5 minutes of beating the crap out of it, you're done