Sign in to follow this  

Can you convert a XR250, to a 400?

I have a 1988 XR250 that is CA Street Legal.

However, it doesnt quite have the power that I want/need.

I have thought about a big bore kit, but have been told that it gives you low end power not high end power, which is what I need.

I was wondering if a XR400 engine would fit in a XR250 Chasis???

Or any other 400cc engine???

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have been looking for awhile now.

Finding one with Plates is not as easy as you would think...

I can find one, but its sold before I can get there to take a look at it.

Tried to buy one site unseen at 6:30pm...Told the guy I would pick it up the next morning at 9:30am...Gone...

They are quite difficult to find. Some are just thrashed and they still want $3500-$K for them.

I would pay the price for one in good condition, But I not gonna get raped.

Without CA Plates they go for $1800 and up...With plates it doubles, which is not a problem it the bike is worth it.

Which is why I am thinking of upgrading the one that I have. Maybe 300cc kit it in order.

If you could put the xr400 motor in the xr250 frame,Dont do it,the xr250 has a short wheel base would not handle.I have a xr440 with many mods,my xr300 will out climb my 440 any day any time.

If you can put a XR300 into CRF450 why not a XR400 into a XR250?

My guess is that it isn't a direct bolt in but if it physically fit in the frame then I'm sure custom mounts could be fabricated.

Mate just do the 300 kit, Ive only gone up to 280 and it feels like its gonna beat the 400's Ive ridden, in fact it feels like its got more up top than down low! Not what i expected!👍

Finally,,

Found a 1997 XR 400 that is CA Street Legal today...It just had the top end done, new piston rings etcs...

Suspension was rebuilt..

Basically it was completely gone through...There was no dings on the frame, very little paint scrapes,,,no scraps what so ever on the bottom of the forks or swing arm...It was never ridden hard. Practically a new bike now.

THe best thing about this bike...The guy I bought it from had more motorcycles in his shop than I have seen in any one persons house ever...

He had Everetts ( I Think, British) Ossa, Nortons, Kawa, Hondas, Triumps, Yamis,,,some of these bikes were from the 1950's and 100% restored. He had at least 3 Triumps, 3 Nortons,,,multiple of everything. With several in the restoration phase. Obviously he knows how to work on them.

He had some really awesome bikes in there.

He prefers to race the XR 650's now and was getting rid of the XR400.

I used to ride an XR280 with a cam and head work and the bike was all top end power. Nothing on the bottom. Would run 75mph with stock gearing.