Sign in to follow this  

Leaky Oil Drain Bolt

My bike has the ever so slightest oil leak coming from the drain bolt. It appears that there is nothing wrong with the threads of the bolt but that there is a few dings and scratches on the surface where the bolt touches the bottom of the engine. What should i do to fix this? File down the scratches on the engine to make it flat? Get a rubber or copper crush washer? It seems like right now the washer i have with the bolt is too big and not a crush washer, could that be the problem? Thanks.

absolutly could be the problem. I'd try the right washer first before you start filing things down. I doubt a few scratches would be causing your problem...never know though I guess.

Since we change oil so much I am constantly adding heli coils to engines to repair threads. No matter how easy you are if you change the oil enough times it will allways cause a problem.

Many times due to a slight leak I will take an oring too small to slide on the drain bolt. I will spread it over the bolts to thin it out.

you may have to stry a few sixes but many times it will seal between the bolt and the edge of the threads.

Go to your local dealer and get some crush washers for either a Yamaha or Suzuki streetbike. Others may be the same, I just happen to be familiar with these. They seal perfect every time as long as you don't try to reuse them.