Sign in to follow this  

Do I need to rejet?????

Hey guys, I have an 07 X and just put a boyesen quickshot 2, Scaryfast Powerwing and White Brothers XCR exhaust on(these are the only power mods, I have left the airbox alone). All three of these say that they do not require rejetting? The bike runs great right now. I am at about 500ft and ride anywhere from sea level to 5000ft(which I plan to ride at this weekend). You think the stock carb settings are fine? Could I do any damage if I do not rejet? I am not confident in rejetting myself, so I would have to take it in $$$$. Thanks for your input.

Yes you need to rejet, stock is way too lean. It's not hard because all you really need to do at a minimum is change your main jet to a 165 or 168 based on your altitude. If you installed the boyesen quickshot 2 and Scaryfast Powerwing yourself you can definitly switch out a main jet. All you have to do is loosen the fore and aft clamps on the carburator, rotate it a bit so you can remove the float bowl drain bolt to get at the main jet inside. Check out the FAQ link above for a link on jetting setup help...most of it is not that hard to do.

As far as the airbox goes I would remove the snorkle at a minimum. If you feel up to it check out the FAQ link for how to help on cutting the airbox. Skoot22's airbox thead has some pretty good step by step instructions.

Thanks for the quick responses. Maybe I will try the rejetting on my own, they want $175 to do it at the shop . Do you guys recommend that JD Jetting kit? Would that have everything in it I would need? Sorry for all the questions, I used to be a two stroke guy and almost fried a couple engines.

Other people use the JD Kit here so I am sure they will chime in. I got one for my old 450R and it had everything I needed and the instuctions were good. I am sure the one for the X is just as good. Save your money and do it yourself, JD Kit or not.

Other people use the JD Kit here so I am sure they will chime in. I got one for my old 450R and it had everything I needed and the instuctions were good. I am sure the one for the X is just as good. Save your money and do it yourself, JD Kit or not.

👍 I did the JD kit and it's been perfect. Well worth the money IMHO. It is easy to put in an NCVS needle and new main for a few dollars though.

IMHO, the JD kit is preffered because:

- detailed instructions on jetting, altitude, airbox mods

- additional jets for airbox mod, or pipe mod

- specail tapered needles are great

- multiple altitude jets included

- multiple main jets included, for different states of un-corking

You can rejet without taking the carb off, if you just take off the tank and seat, loosen carb boots, move cables and hoses, and then rotate the carb clockwise to get to the bottom. You can get to the top for the needle by just rotating a little bit.

It will still take stubby tools, but it's totally do-able. I put my bike on it's side with a pencil in the tank vent hose and did it in 1 hour.

I went the NCVS way and am happy with it. 30 bucks for main jet and needle.

👍