Sign in to follow this  

Front end knifeing?

Anyone have any trouble with their 08 front end knifeing on you? Mine has done it to me 3 times now at wird times and put me on my head, so i was wondering if there was anything i could do abt this to make it stop.....without having to buy a stabilizer.

What type of front tire do you run and what tire pressure? This could be part of the problem. Also, and I'm not sure if this is good on the bearings, but I tighten the top nut on my triple clamps by first loosening the pinch bolts and then tightening the nut. I would also check the sag on the suspension to make sure your suspension is balanced and not puting too little or too much weight on the front end. Other than that, what type of dirt is it that your wheel is knifing on?

Do you have the correct spring rate for your weight ?? Your symptoms could be do to a to stiff rear spring /too much pre-load. That loads the front end too much . You can also try this : Speed up (loosen/soften) the FORK rebound damping few clicks. 👍

i am 175lb's with gear on and im running 115mm of sag. It is a 756 front tire and i ride anywhere from loam to hard pack, it has tossed me on both.

Well, your sag numbers seem good. What is the static sag? The 756 front tire shouldn't be the problem as they hook up decent in most conditions, unless it is shot. Try what VilleKTM suggested with the forks. When you say the front end knifes, what exectly happens? Could it be deflecting off breaking bumps from being too stiff? Oh and I forgot to ask last time, what year and model is your bike?

I find i have the opposite problem, where it seems like my front end is stuff and pushes the front, almost like it is stiff at the very top of the stroke so it doesnt want to compress in turns, yet feels good on jumps and braking bumps. What could be some remedies for this?

maybe check if your forks are binding??

ya will feel in corner and such, but in jumps, ya would'nt feel it.

I find i have the opposite problem, where it seems like my front end is stuff and pushes the front, almost like it is stiff at the very top of the stroke so it doesnt want to compress in turns, yet feels good on jumps and braking bumps. What could be some remedies for this?

Opposite problem ? Well,the solution is often the opposite the solution to Cemmons problem. See my first post above ... Hey - did you get your chain/gear box problem solved out ??

Opposite problem ? Well,the solution is often the opposite the solution to Cemmons problem. See my first post above ... Hey - did you get your chain/gear box problem solved out ??

I'm not sure how bad it is, maybe it was just rider error, i have not ridden in 3 weeks but ill know for sure if this issue is still there when i ride this weekend. If it is, i'll stiffen up the rebound on the forks, right now i am running 110 sag.

I never had a chain/gear box problem, i think you are talking about the other guy who posted that on here, mxmackey?

I'm not sure how bad it is, maybe it was just rider error, i have not ridden in 3 weeks but ill know for sure if this issue is still there when i ride this weekend. If it is, i'll stiffen up the rebound on the forks, right now i am running 110 sag.

I never had a chain/gear box problem, i think you are talking about the other guy who posted that on here, mxmackey?

I got you guys mixed up... By the way - Try 115 sag. I like mine best that way..

I got you guys mixed up... By the way - Try 115 sag. I like mine best that way..

Rode the bike yesterday, everything went as good as i could ever ask it to be. I think i may have just had a bad day the last time i rode thats all. By the way, i ride mostly loose hard packed surfaces and yesterday was my first full day using the G2 ergonomics throttle cam, by far the best money i have spent on the bike (100 bucks), it really helped me focus on riding the bike more aggressively but yet relaxed at the same as it just helped every bit of power to get to the ground efficiently. I was using the mildest cam (400), i dont even think i am going to bother to try the other cams that came in the kit just yet as i am very happy with the way this thing is working right now. For anyone who is struggling with traction or find the stock power curve too aggressive especially on loose surfaces, this product will show you real improvements that you can feel, and for the price you really dont have much to loose, i highly recommend this. 👍

Just another note regarding tires, i am running the michelin MH3 on the rear and for hard pack surfaces this tire performs better than anything i have tried so far.

I may just have to try those cams. I´m also a true believer in Michelin tires.👍 Our tracks are mainly looser soil or sand so the best choice here is the MS Starcross. By the way - Have you tried to change between the two stock ignition curves ?

I may just have to try those cams. I´m also a true believer in Michelin tires.:busted: Our tracks are mainly looser soil or sand so the best choice here is the MS Starcross. By the way - Have you tried to change between the two stock ignition curves ?

Ville you should try the cams for sure if you are having problems with traction, or just want to manage the power easier, their website is www.g2ergo.com, i ordered the TCS kit online and they shipped it out internationally the next day and i had it within a week! It did take one or two laps to get accustomed to, as i had myself in 1st gear more often, but the KTM 450s first gear is pretty much a second gear on any other bike anyways! I am really liking how it has made me ride more relaxed and keeping the momentum moving forward out of the corners instead the constant wheel spin. For sand or tacky situations though, i would put back on the other "stock cam" that the kit comes with, the cool thing is, it really only takes 5 mins tops to make the switch! 👍

Yeah for sure i have tried the different power curves, i have the button on the handlebar :worthy:, to be honest i forgot to try the different curves back to back yesterday as i was just having too much fun riding and didnt feel the need to change anything!, now that i have the throttle cam system i will have to try using the different curves back to back and see what the results are like there. When i had the stock throttle tube on, i was using the torque curve most of the time though.

That´s what i´m using all the time now. I even removed the switch from the handlebar and left those wires unplugged. Now ; I´m riding mostly sandy tracks but i´ll give the cam a shot. I may even buy the "Pro" version at the same time (shorter stroke on the throttle) cause it may be fun on some of our deep sand tracks. Or it may spit me off the saddle after few laps...

By the way - I just got mail from Austria. I´m going down there to pick up my new -09 in the latter part of September !

That´s what i´m using all the time now. I even removed the switch from the handlebar and left those wires unplugged. Now ; I´m riding mostly sandy tracks but i´ll give the cam a shot. I may even buy the "Pro" version at the same time (shorter stroke on the throttle) cause it may be fun on some of our deep sand tracks. Or it may spit me off the saddle after few laps...

By the way - I just got mail from Austria. I´m going down there to pick up my new -09 in the latter part of September !

Ville, once you have the G2 TCS kit, you can buy the other cams seperately (even though it comes with 3 cams, they have more you can buy), for deep sand, i would definitely be tempted to try one of the larger cams for fun. In more normal conditions though, the bigger cam would most likely be ideal for aggressive 250F riders since they need to twist the throttle farther than 450 guys most of the time, the bigger cam would help them to keep their elbow up and in good body position, just making it easier on the rider.

Dont waste any time with the 09 and let us know how it is!! Also, have you got those ohlins TTX cartridges yet? Its been about 6 months or so since you ordered them hasn't it?

No cartridges as of yet... I got tired of asking after them all the time so i just wait for them to call me when my set is due. Ridiculous ... 👍

You guys will be the first ones to get the report on the -09. With or without the damned cartridges!