Stalls if choke shut off Won't restart - HELP

Hello All, new to the forum & to a YZ250F. I moved up from a TTR-230 about four months ago when I found a deal for a new 07. Anyway When I first got it I rode it around a few times - nothing track, just fields and dirt trail stuff, then it has sat for 2-3 months (with float bowl drained) This past mon I figured I'd start it up. I drained the old fuel and even put a new spark plug in. It started perfect on the 3rd kick. I rolled it out of the garage and let it idle, even turning the throttle a few times. It sounded fine then as I touched the choke it stalled out. I tried forever (with & without choke / with & without hot start) but could'nt get it to restart. I put it away and figured I'd deal with it later. I tried again tonight and again it started perfect on the 2nd kick idled OK then stalled as I touched the choke, again I could'nt get it to restart. What is wrong - or what am I doing wrong????I don't believe I'm shutting the choke off too soon, but even if I did Why can't I get it to start a second time?? Help Please I really want to go to a track for my first time Fri. I never took my TTR there and I live so close (The Landing in Easton)

BTW - I'm not exactly a mechanic - Draining fuel is easy, and it only took me a few seconds to figure out the spark plug thing, but I think the whole carb thing would overwhelm me if that's what it might be - all I know about that is where it is - Is there a way to clean it without taking it apart?

Once you get it started again, go ride it right away. I'm sure you won't ride it too hard concidering your new to a bigger bike. Don't ride long with the choke on, just long enough to get the radiators hot (meaning the coolant is circulating and the engine is coming up to temp.) If you then shut of the choke and it dies, then you probably have jetting issues, most likely lean. If it doesn't, you may just be letting it idle to long. Remember, this bike is made to be ridden pretty hard, so you shouldn't bog the motor down, keep the revs up and don't be affraid to ride it hard.

Had this problem myself. It would idle but as soon as I tried to ride off it'd cough, splutter and stall. I took it for a 5 minute ride with some constant 35mph speeds and it cleaned everything out. Unfortunately I had to ride with the choke out for a bit which I know doesn't do it any favours. My big cc road bike has been known to do the same thing due to lack of use over winter.

riding with the choke on won't kill (harm) the motor. it could, depending on if the PJ is clogged or not, make it run rich and sluggish.

If your looking to do something simple and inexpensive, try pouring in some fuel injector cleaner additives like techron or sea foam. run that thru your tank and see if the results are positive. If it doesn't clear up over a tank or so, then your going to have to dive into the carb.

OK - Started right up as before - rode it (actually pretty hard) - made a couple laps around a big corn field near me then up and back down my road - tried to shut off the choke and died - Again couldnt get restarted - So If I do try and clean the carb and maybee clean or replace the "pilot jet" - what should I clean it with?? - regular carb cleaner like from an auto store or is that too harsh??

• 1 month later...
Replace, do not bother to try to clean the pilot jet, get wild with five bucks.

I have been a member here at TT for a short time. I know these bikes well and my advice to you is to follow William1's advice he knows what he's talking about. If your not sure how to get to it or replace it just come back to TT and you will get all the help you need. Good luck.:lame: