Sign in to follow this  

Whoops and Panic Brakes.

I haven't been posting threads about having some questions.

But I gotten a lot better. Jumped all jumps on my Track.

it goes down to Whoops and Panic brakes.

I have serious Problems with whoops. I have a 04 KX 125 and I always go 3rd gear trying to bash through 10 Whoops (Motocross style ones) I really need help because When I try, everytime I slow down or get outta control. :'[

Panic brakes Doesn't work when I jump Nose-up.

I hold the Clutch and the Rear brakes and It doesn't seem to bring the Nose back down. This is my first day doing it..

What is going on?!? 👍

The track I been riding on. https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670127

Whoops: don't slow down. I'm not a pin it type ride EXCEPT in the whoops. Things get so much better w/ throttle.

Whoops: don't slow down. I'm not a pin it type ride EXCEPT in the whoops. Things get so much better w/ throttle.

Okay. hopefully I'll be a quick learner at Whoops... Thanks. :worthy:

Check out the Track.

I still need Advice on Panic Brakes like bring the Nose down. 👍

By the way.

Here's the Track I have riding on. 5 Minutes away from house on Bike. 👍

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670127

Dude... you ought to be able to run them things WFO - they don't look but ~18" deep w/ close peaks. I see 10-11 of them and what looks like a starter (foreground). Frig'ng take that starter whoop 4-5 in then hammer thru. The closer they are, the less opportunity you have to drop the front or rear so long as you've got the throttle turned and proper body position.

I've read that you are supposed to short shift in them so that you won't run out of gear. How are you supposed to pin it if you short shifted for a purpose that doesn't work with pinning it?👍

I don't know which is right, I'm just telling you what I've read.

Maybe we need Mr. 54 to come correct us:smirk:

As for braking in the air to bring the front end down, if your weight is too far back to begin with, then locking the rear brake is not going to help at all. You need to make sure that your body position is correct at take off so that you either do not need to use the brakes, or when you do tap the rear brake, the bike with be able to change attitude. Hit the jump in the attack position and make sure your body is centered on the bike in the air.

I've read that you are supposed to short shift in them so that you won't run out of gear. How are you supposed to pin it if you short shifted for a purpose that doesn't work with pinning it?👍

Okay. Tommrow I'll try to Speed up through the Whoops and see what happens..

But.. Should I tighten my Rear brakes so maybe the Panic brake thing would work? I hate Jumping Nose up..

HALP. :worthy:

Okay. hopefully I'll be a quick learner at Whoops... Thanks. :worthy:

Check out the Track.

I still need Advice on Panic Brakes like bring the Nose down. 👍

Shift up a gear and pin it in the whoops, it will keep your front wheel light which will help you keep from endoing.

As far as the brakes in mid air, is it possible that youre barely touching the brake. I find that unless I really smash that brake down it wont have any afftect, are you letting it idle down or holding the throttle open slightly? You have to let the RPMS drop pretty low

Youre misinterperating the term pin it. You think pin it means to run to the last 500 RPMs or so it seems to be, but in reality it only means to twist the throttle all the way to the stops

Alright thanks again.

I'm gonna have another go at my track tommorow.

I'm going to Tighten my rear brakes though.

I need it to be strong like my front brakes.

well if you keep going front end high fix your body position maybe it will stop if it does not maybe your front forks are rebounding way to fast and putting the front end high another thing to fix turn the clickers to slow it down a bit if you get some vids of you going front end high or through the whoops would help to:thumbsup:

As mentioned, you shouldn't have to use the rear brake in the air if your body position is correct. If you do have to use the rear brakes, mashing real hard is not the key, it's how QUICK and hard you hit it. Also in an emergency you can do the same thing with the front brake, but be careful if your bars are turned, you also will loose the gyro effect with the front tire not spinning.

You shouldnt need to tighten the rear brakes; they probably just "feel" loose or soft because they dont have as much stopping power as your front. I think you just need to get to practicing tapping it in air. Also lean forward when you do, it'll help bring the front end down.

When going through whoops you need to be in jocky position with your head over the bars, and make sure you grip your legs tightly to the bike.

Roll them the first couple of times and then pick up your speed. make sure your comfortable first before you go through them. when you do... do NOT let off the gas if you pick up some speed. good luck and be safe. 👍

I'm no racer but when my shock needed service and wasn't working properly I was being thrown all over the place through whoop sections on the trail.

Making sure your shock and fork are set up correctly will make a huge difference in your handling.

When going through whoops you need to be in jocky position with your head over the bars, and make sure you grip your legs tightly to the bike.

Roll them the first couple of times and then pick up your speed. make sure your comfortable first before you go through them. when you do... do NOT let off the gas if you pick up some speed. good luck and be safe. 👍

I know that's correct but what would happen if you were all the way back?

I know that's correct but what would happen if you were all the way back?

One of the times when the rear end bucks up over a whoop, the bike will throw you over the bars. I saw a kid get run over by his own bike like that on a CRF250R

One of the times when the rear end bucks up over a whoop, the bike will throw you over the bars. I saw a kid get run over by his own bike like that on a CRF250R

So if you have your ass over the fender it will buck you over the bars when you ride over the whoops? Just asking for clarification since I don't want to find out the hard way lol.