Sign in to follow this  

98' KLX300 carburetor problem

Hi, can anyone explain the drain at the bottom of the carb. I loosened the drain screw to see if any water or dirt came out of the carbs bottom. ( I have it out of bike). When I installed it back into the bike and hooked up fuel, during trying to start, fuel was leaking out the carb drain but screw is snug. I took it back out and investigated. The tube that runs up from the bottom cap is completely open thru the drain when I put air to it with the screw snug. Can anyone help ?? Is there a quick fix ?? Thanks, Bob

I'm not sure I'm completely understanding your problem, but did you check to see if the float is stuck. That will cause gas to pour out of the carb.

The float isnt stuck. I've got fuel running out the drain at the bottom. That long brass tube that runs down to the drain is not closed even when the screw is snug and I believe fuel is running down thru it. So when I move the bike around, or when trying to start it, fuel gets sloshed around in the bowl and starts to drip out that drain.

That's the overflow. It keeps the fuel from flowing down the intake if the float valve leaks or is set to high. If it's ok when steady and you only overflow when shaking or tilting the bike it sounds like your float is adjusted a bit high.

Yup. Still sounds like the float is stuck to me. A pretty standard problem on the CVK's. Used to happen to me all the time before I went FCR.

I'll look into the float then to see whats happening there. Do you guys know what may be the deal with the idle stuttering?? Thanks for the info and advice. Bob

I'll look into the float then to see whats happening there. Do you guys know what may be the deal with the idle stuttering?? Thanks for the info and advice. Bob

While you are looking at the float, check the pilot jet. It is in the fuels idle circuit and the hole through it is very small. It doesn't take much to restrict fuel flow through it.

Ride on

Brewster