Sign in to follow this  

Quad for dirt biker

My fiancee and I have ridden bikes together for a couple of years :worthy: , and she got interested in quads - eventually, she got so interested that we now have a Raptor 250 👍 in a garage dominated by bikes - dirt bikes, street bikes, dual sport bikes, and bicycles. I never thought I'd get a quad, nor did I think the woman I loved would ever betray me :busted: by riding one herself, but here we are.

Well, since she got a quad, I have ridden the quad a little, and it was fun ... enough fun that I think that every once in a while I am going to want to ride a quad, too. :blah:

So here's the deal. It's been a long time since I've been totally new to something, and like everyone who's totally new, I want something that probably does not exist.

I want a sport quad (or a very sporty utility quad, but I think I want a sport quad) that will be good for trails, particularly the narrow, slippery, muddy, rooty trails of East Tennessee. Now, when I say muddy, I don't mean that I am going specifically mud bogging or anything, I just mean that I will be in some mud sometimes.

I ride my bikes pretty aggressively, and I assume I'll do the same on the quad, although I will not ever be competing in motocross. I might do a little riding on the motocross track, but that will be occasional. I might ride a GNCC type local race or in the quad class at a local enduro, but that will also be occasional, and if I do terrible, it will be more my fault than the fault of any reasonable equipment.

I ride a KDX200 dirt bike, and I love it, although I've done some mods to make it fit me.

I want to buy used, and I want to get a good, reliable quad for $2,500 or so. I know it will be a master of none, and I accept that, but I want a good jack of all trades quad.

I am looking at

LTZ-400 and KFX-400 - for these I think I want 2005 or newer (is it worth a big bump in cost to get the suspension and frame upgrades of post 05?)

Honda TRX 400 EX

TRX 300 EX - I can get a new leftover 06 for $3K.

Banshee

Blaster

Wolverine 350 2WD

What else should I be looking at? Is there a clear choice for guys like me?

Also, if you can comment on ergos, I am 6'6" tall and 240 lbs.

Thanks, all.

That is a good list. Personally I would stick with the 400s, and the Suzukasaki (LTZ) is clearly better than the TRX in that case.

You can find a good used 03-04 for your price range, no need to spend the extra dough on an 05. Really the only upgrade is rezzy shocks and extra reinforcement on the frame. If you are doing huge jumps you'll notice otherwise you probably won't care.

300EX is good as well. It might be a bit underpowered at your weight but you can get tons of upgrades too.

Banshees are fun machines, but they are pretty tempremental. But if you like the two stroke they are the way to go. Just require a little extra attention when riding trails due to the powerband.

Blaster is a kids quad, at your size it will be way too small.

Wolverine 350 is a big heavy pig, so that one is probably not too good either.

I would go with a 400, the Suzuki Z-400 is the better 400, but the Honda TRX400EX is also nice. Another 400 is the Arctic Cat, which is pretty much a Suzuki with different plastics. When I read the word "muddy, slippery" I was about to say Can-Am Renegade 500(not 800) EFI but those are $7799(2009) and they come with 2/4wd. I would say look at a Suzuki Z-400 or an Arctic Cat DVX400, they are both the same pretty much, but if you can't find the Suzuki just look for the Arctic Cat and if you can't find the Arctic Cat look for the Suzuki.

Also, if you want the greatest 2 stroke ATV, look for Banshees, too!

Think quads are fun? Then you haven't tried a trials bike yet. I want dual sport, and a trials bike to complement my auto clutched YZ250. So, I guess I understand your need for another machine type.

I'd get a banshee. You need HELLA power to make those heavy ass quads feel anything like a snappy dirt bike.

I have not tried trials, but I live within an hour of a place called the "trails training center", so I will probably be familiar with it pretty soon.

My fiancee and I have ridden bikes together for a couple of years :worthy: , and she got interested in quads - eventually, she got so interested that we now have a Raptor 250 👍 in a garage dominated by bikes - dirt bikes, street bikes, dual sport bikes, and bicycles. I never thought I'd get a quad, nor did I think the woman I loved would ever betray me :busted: by riding one herself, but here we are.

Well, since she got a quad, I have ridden the quad a little, and it was fun ... enough fun that I think that every once in a while I am going to want to ride a quad, too. :blah:

So here's the deal. It's been a long time since I've been totally new to something, and like everyone who's totally new, I want something that probably does not exist.

I want a sport quad (or a very sporty utility quad, but I think I want a sport quad) that will be good for trails, particularly the narrow, slippery, muddy, rooty trails of East Tennessee. Now, when I say muddy, I don't mean that I am going specifically mud bogging or anything, I just mean that I will be in some mud sometimes.

I ride my bikes pretty aggressively, and I assume I'll do the same on the quad, although I will not ever be competing in motocross. I might do a little riding on the motocross track, but that will be occasional. I might ride a GNCC type local race or in the quad class at a local enduro, but that will also be occasional, and if I do terrible, it will be more my fault than the fault of any reasonable equipment.

I ride a KDX200 dirt bike, and I love it, although I've done some mods to make it fit me.

I want to buy used, and I want to get a good, reliable quad for $2,500 or so. I know it will be a master of none, and I accept that, but I want a good jack of all trades quad.

I am looking at

LTZ-400 and KFX-400 - for these I think I want 2005 or newer (is it worth a big bump in cost to get the suspension and frame upgrades of post 05?)

Honda TRX 400 EX

TRX 300 EX - I can get a new leftover 06 for $3K.

Banshee

Blaster

Wolverine 350 2WD

What else should I be looking at? Is there a clear choice for guys like me?

Also, if you can comment on ergos, I am 6'6" tall and 240 lbs.

Thanks, all.

Please dont ride narrow and muddy trails on a Quad, thats whats destroying our riding areas

I'd get the z400. (suzuki or kawasaki)

The 400ex just doesnt compare(as far as speed goes). My buddy had an 03 i believe z400. and we were going down long flat road, he passed me in third gear. I was in 5th WFO. He just flew on by and I was sitting there riding 5th wide with one hand on the throttle the other in my lap. It was awful.

If u want to by a good quad that will last a while with no problem i would go with the 400ex. Best quad i've riden. But if u want speed and power i would go with the polaris preditor 500 04 and newer.

Honda 400ex or the Suzuki z400 are your best bet. the Suzuki has more advanced -- everything. The Honda is bulletproof. Either will be awesome!

-400ex owner