Sign in to follow this  

06 CRF 250R Suspension Questions

I tried to set up my sag today and I came to the conclusion that my front was too stiff. I could only get my front end to sag about 2.5" when I'm supposed to set it at about 4", and I put the compression at the softest I could and I still have another 1.5" to go. Yet the rear was perfect and is just at 4". One question I have is that, I had my dad who is 230 pounds sit on my brothers CRF 250R which is stock suspension, no clickers changed, and the front sagged 4". I thought that the suspension stock was set up for a 160lb guy?? So I'm kinda lost on that one.

It seems that all of the CRF's front suspension is too stiff in comparison to the rear, so I would like to know also maybe what front spring rate I should get, and what stock is.

Oh, and I'm also 145lbs and people said my suspension would be too stiff all around, but the back is just perfect, yet the front is way too stiff even at its softest...

I don not think the front forks should sag 4 inches.....

Clicker setting should not affect sag....not sure if that's what you were saying

Also, sometimes, although I don't think this is the case for you, softer ends up being stiffer...the forks get too deep in the stroke....

But I would suspect you could lighten the valving up somewhat on the forks...so read the thread by thedogger in the crf450 sticky's, should tell you everything you need to know....

curious....what do you classify your speed level as? and what type of dirt??

Wait, I thought sag front and back should be 95-105mm front and back, or 4" front and back?? 👍

No...I think there is no way the front sag should be any where near 4 inches, the rear yes.

You could get more precise on the rear....usually people start in the range of 100mm to 110 mm.

I have seen from reading around that 103-105mm seem to be a hot ticket on that bike.

Google search 103mm to inches...and it will give you an exact answer....Im too lazy to do it.

Unless I am crazy, no bike I have ever owned, when set up, has ever had near 4 inches sag in the front...

mx tech and other have a great resource of stock spring rate information, although 08's are not up yet...but my guess is the spring rate is the same as 07, which is .45 up front.

whats your free sag....or sag of just the big...this helps with spring rate as well.

This sounds a little high for you, maybe .42-.43 are a better bet. Just wait for others opinions on this.

I don't think so... I'm sure my front end doesn't sag 4 inches. Also, I don't think there is any way to change the front sag without pulling the forks apart. The compression and rebound clickers shouldn't change sag at all, the sag is just for the spring.

No...I think there is no way the front sag should be any where near 4 inches, the rear yes.

You could get more precise on the rear....usually people start in the range of 100mm to 110 mm.

I have seen from reading around that 103-105mm seem to be a hot ticket on that bike.

Google search 103mm to inches...and it will give you an exact answer....Im too lazy to do it.

Unless I am crazy, no bike I have ever owned, when set up, has ever had near 4 inches sag in the front...

mx tech and other have a great resource of stock spring rate information, although 08's are not up yet...but my guess is the spring rate is the same as 07, which is .45 up front.

whats your free sag....or sag of just the big...this helps with spring rate as well.

This sounds a little high for you, maybe .42-.43 are a better bet. Just wait for others opinions on this.

103mm=4.0551181"

So my front suspension sag is 2.5", what should it be? Also, my rear suspension should be find shouldn't it? When I was riding at the track my rear felt fine but my front felt stiff, my dad said the same thing when watching me ride.

If you're not supposed to sag 4", what about should be how far your front forks sag?

I know the feeling you describe. Most likely at 145lbs you are too light, but check your rear sag first. You should be in the 100-110 range like the guys have explained, so you will most likely back the pre load out from stock. But remember you still need a minimum preload on the spring as the bike is static I forgot the mm's it should be in the manual.

I know the feeling you describe. Most likely at 145lbs you are too light, but check your rear sag first. You should be in the 100-110 range like the guys have explained, so you will most likely back the pre load out from stock. But remember you still need a minimum preload on the spring as the bike is static I forgot the mm's it should be in the manual.

When riding the rear feels fine, and my dad says it looks fine when I'm riding. What is the stock spring rate for the rear?

measure the free sag first....its just he the bike by it self. If your sag is 100mm the free sag should be around 30-40 but that's not set in stone.

Go from there....

Use mx tech for spring rate information, its on the home page under bike info, the 07 is the same I think.

measure the free sag first....its just he the bike by it self. If your sag is 100mm the free sag should be around 30-40 but that's not set in stone.

Go from there....

Use mx tech for spring rate information, its on the home page under bike info, the 07 is the same I think.

I did and it says i need around a 4.6 in the back compared to my 5.3 stock, but when riding it feels just right, and looks just right to people watching... 👍

haha...your not listening...

Measure your free sag. That is sag with only the bike, or the bike just sitting there.

Search the forum if you don't know how.

spring rate calculators are not always right...and the mxtech one seems to be really soft on the shock side in particular.

Mxtech is a means to stock rate information...

haha...your not listening...

Measure your free sag. That is sag with only the big, or the big just sitting there.

Search the forum if you don't know how.

spring rate calculators are not always right...and the mxtech one seems to be really soft on the shock side in particular.

Mxtech is a means to stock rate information...

I am listening, I will do that tomorrow. I am going to lower my fork oil height so they will be a bit softer. If I do that my suspension should be a lot better.

It should help if you are not currently bottoming....and/or you get it deep in the stroke on bumps....

Read that thread in the sticky's in the crf450 section by thedogger....if you would like to soften the entire range some, you could start by removing a couple face shims on the base valve....which is very easy to do.

if you dont fully understand sag there is a good write up over at twmx.com then search "setting sag". there is also a vid a couple of caniadian guys made up on youtube which is not bad either. and where did you get that the forks should sag 4 inches, no way lol. mine probally only sag a inch to a inch and a half....i will be keeping an eye on this thread cause i have the same bike and weigh the same as you....and you dont weigh 145, you wiegh 160 because you will be in gear lol

if you dont fully understand sag there is a good write up over at twmx.com then search "setting sag". there is also a vid a couple of caniadian guys made up on youtube which is not bad either. and where did you get that the forks should sag 4 inches, no way lol. mine probally only sag a inch to a inch and a half....i will be keeping an eye on this thread cause i have the same bike and weigh the same as you....and you dont weigh 145, you wiegh 160 because you will be in gear lol

Yeah, for some reason I thought the front too. I know how to set sag, I set my rear up fine. I guess I will play with the base stack and lower the oil for now. Later I will have my bike re-sprung for me when I get the money, but for now the stock springs will have to do.