Sign in to follow this  

How do you get your bike up on a garage stand?

I am thinking of getting a fixed garage stand but i wonder how you guys get your bike up there.👍 Some pics on how to do it would be appreciated.

/Peter

I was never very graceful putting my bike on a stand. I would place the crate on the opposite side of the bike and lift the back end of the bike on the stand while holding on to the handlebar. Will be purchasing a lift stand from Wheeling Cycle Supply in the future. Easy to lift , locks in place and slowly lowers the bike. Much easier. 👍

I am thinking of getting a fixed garage stand but i wonder how you guys get your bike up there.👍 Some pics on how to do it would be appreciated.

/Peter

Get yourself a few short pieces of 2x4. Lay them in front of each of your wheels. Roll up onto the 2x4 and now your two inches higher. If it's not high enough repeat process with two more or untill desired height is accomplished. It's easier done than said, really.

I use a moto jack......best $100 I ever spent. I need my back in good shape for riding, not lifting porky bikes.

I use a moto jack......best $100 I ever spent. I need my back in good shape for riding, not lifting porky bikes.

Yep, if you want to spend money, motojack is the way to go. Harbor Freight is blowing out some jacks for 60 dollars. Not sure of the quality, they are from China.

ah, dont listen to this blather. Sure I gotta jack, but you can put it on the stand like this...

you stand to left of bike with the bike stand a few inches away on right side floor, just ahead of the brake pedal. Kickstand is up.

grab subframe on right side of bike with right hand, and hold left handlebar with left hand

put your right hip against the left side number plate and bend at knees.

lift subframe pivoting bike off hip onto stand. lift REAL high if you have Sumo wheels.

stand back and admire huge muscles

I usually get my bro or someone to help me:

Position stand on right side of bike, one holds the handle bars the other grabs the rear wheel, lifts and moves it over to the right so that it is centered over the stand. Release, done.

I usually get my bro or someone to help me:

Position stand on right side of bike, one holds the handle bars the other grabs the rear wheel, lifts and moves it over to the right so that it is centered over the stand. Release, done.

I do the same thing, thank god for roomates

Before I got the lift type stand, I would stand on the right side of the bike with the stand between me and the bike. The bike is on it's side stand and in 1st gear. Grab the bars, lock the front brake and push to the left. AS the bike tips onto the kickstand, slide the edge of the stand under the frame. From there you can pivot the bike back and forth to work it onto the stand. Getting it off is more exciting the first time.

I do the same thing, thank god for roomates

I dont have any roomates, I just thank God that I am able bodied. Oh well, I guess this is a different day and age where "if you cant kick start it, you cant ride it" dont apply anymore. Guess girls ride now too, and I wouldnt expect them to be able to lift the drz onto a stand either.

I dont have any roomates, I just thank God that I am able bodied. Oh well, I guess this is a different day and age where "if you cant kick start it, you cant ride it" dont apply anymore. Guess girls ride now too, and I wouldnt expect them to be able to lift the drz onto a stand either.

nice attack 👍

I bought the DRC HC2 Lift/Stand. I love it and it isn't that expensive. It has an adjustable height that really helps. I can have it lift so that both tires are just touching so the bike is really stable. Or position it higher to lift the bike all the way off the ground. Or you can get it to lift just the front or rear off the ground. http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopprod_cat_2442-19719_product_314671.DRC_HC2_Stand.htm

I bought one of the Harbor Freight bike/atv jacks

and it works great. I noticed it's the very same

one that Cycle Gear sells, just a different color,

and also the same one Carquest sells, also a

different color. I've been using it for several months

now, and I'm happy as can be. It was cheaper then

their online price, and I got the additional 2 year

warranty for 5 bucks! Total out the door 62.00

The thing works like a dream. I don't always have a

neighbor around or someone who can lend me a hand

if I decide at 3 o'clock in the morning if I decide to do

some work on it.

It's so handy, I use it for everything, I even use it

if I want to just clean the wheels, only takes about

20 seconds to get it up on the lift, and my back doesn't

ache later.........IMO, it's a GREAT long term investment,

no matter where you buy it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2792

Regards Sonny

Get yourself a few short pieces of 2x4. Lay them in front of each of your wheels. Roll up onto the 2x4 and now your two inches higher. If it's not high enough repeat process with two more or untill desired height is accomplished. It's easier done than said, really.

I'm a weak bastard and HATE getting my bike up on the stand. Usually put the bike on the left side of the stand, kickstand up. Stand on the left side of the bike, turn bars to full left, grab right side subframe, lean bike over while leaning against it with by body, lift and "roll" it onto the stand, then crack a beer and rest for 30 minutes to celebrate actually getting it on there.

I've always used 2x4's to get my bike off the stand (i have one of those foot pump mx type stands that you can raise) by pumping the stand up a little, putting blocks under each wheel, and lowering the bike so it sits on the blocks. Then kick out the stand and roll off the blocks:thumbsup: .

I was a little leary of the unknown quality of the Harbour Freight lift, so I went with the Craftsman. About $100 when on sale. Works great, and unlike the motorcycle only vertical lifts available from DRC, etc.(which have a 350# +/- capacity, you can use this jack (1500# capacity) for the bike, the quad, the riding mower, etc. 👍

WVDualsport, did you go w/ the aluminum or steel version? I got the steel one on sale for $60-something, and i've been pretty happy w/ it. The aluminum one is obviously nicer, it was just almost $100 more.

Stringburner,

I went with the steel version. It seems that they recently had a price increase. I think they're about $120 now, when not on sale. I couldn't justify the extra $ to save a little weight....I mean it just sits on the garage floor anyway!

Living in my small town may be different than for most of you, as I can go to the local sears store(it's not very big), deal directly with the owner, and on just about anything larger than hand tools, I haggle ont he price with him(kinda like buying a car). He'll usually move off of the retail price on most items to keep your business.