Sign in to follow this  

Enclosed trailer tires irregular wear.

As I was preparing for a trip this weekend, I discovered a flat tire on my double axle trailer. As if this wasn't bad enough I also discovered that all the tires were wearing more on the inside of the tire than the rest of the tire. :busted::worthy: Trailer is only 2 yrs old and tires have maybe 6000 miles on them. Obviously there is a problem and I am not capable of fixing it myself. So question one is what is the problem and question two is where in So. Cal, (San Fernando valley or Santa Clarita Valley) is there a reputable shop that can check alignment or repack bearings, etc.? 👍

As I was preparing for a trip this weekend, I discovered a flat tire on my double axle trailer. As if this wasn't bad enough I also discovered that all the tires were wearing more on the inside of the tire than the rest of the tire. :busted::worthy: Trailer is only 2 yrs old and tires have maybe 6000 miles on them. Obviously there is a problem and I am not capable of fixing it myself. So question one is what is the problem and question two is where in So. Cal, (San Fernando valley or Santa Clarita Valley) is there a reputable shop that can check alignment or repack bearings, etc.? 👍

All four tires are wearing the inside shoulders?

This is most likely either loose wheel bearings or bent axles.

Have you hauled any really heavy loads in the trailer that may have damaged the axles?

Walk back 50-100 feet and look at the trailer axles....do they seem bowed or are they straight?

The tires show a maximum pressure of 50lbs. I run them at about 40-45. The trailer is rated to hold 7000 lbs. When fully loaded I should be about no more than 4000 lbs. so overloading should not be an issue. Should I be running more air pressure? All four tires are indeed wearing on the inside shoulders.

What kind of tires?

Carlise tires are cheap POS that will wear out in funky patterns (if your lucky) or just blow out......

I had them on my car trailer and they wore funky in 2k miles.

The tires show a maximum pressure of 50lbs. I run them at about 40-45. The trailer is rated to hold 7000 lbs. When fully loaded I should be about no more than 4000 lbs. so overloading should not be an issue. Should I be running more air pressure? All four tires are indeed wearing on the inside shoulders.

Tire pressure is not the issue if they are wearing as you described-it's an alignment issue.

as chickenhauler said, you probably have loose wheel bearings. Jack the wheel up and check the play. If there isn't play, the axle must be bent but I seriously doubt it.

Even tho trlr only 2 yrs old, are you original owner? (Could prior owner, if one, have overloaded?) Maybe axles bent at dealer's/factory/in transit from factory? Any results yet on free play check?

Thanks guys for the info. I am the original owner and am sure never overloaded. Dealer told me there is no way to align it. It has leaf springs. When I brought my flat in to be fixed, the tire guy said it was probably a combination of shitty tires (bias ply and not steel belted) and maybe loose wheel bearings. Will take it out this weekend and give it look see from behind while in the dez and see what I see. It just seems to be bullshit that I have these problems when I take care of everything and the trailer is new.

Thanks guys for the info. I am the original owner and am sure never overloaded. Dealer told me there is no way to align it. It has leaf springs. When I brought my flat in to be fixed, the tire guy said it was probably a combination of shitty tires (bias ply and not steel belted) and maybe loose wheel bearings. Will take it out this weekend and give it look see from behind while in the dez and see what I see. It just seems to be bullshit that I have these problems when I take care of everything and the trailer is new.

What we have here is a shitty dealer.

Yes, they can be aligned....he doesn't have the equipment nor the skills to do so, therefore he will just sell you new tires.

Find a reputable service facility-this isn't one of them.

What we have here is a shitty dealer.

Yes, they can be aligned....he doesn't have the equipment nor the skills to do so, therefore he will just sell you new tires.

Find a reputable service facility-this isn't one of them.

Dealer is not the one who I took the tire repair to. But I will say that the dealer (it is a Haulmark Transport DLX) insists that there is no way to do it. He did not even offer to sell me tires, just gave me his opinion. I would love to find a dealer here in So. Ca. Can anybody suggest any place?

P.S. Thanks CH!

I have a tandem axle camper. I have managed to bend one or both axles in the 11 years I've owned it. I developed similar tire wear problems. It took lots of phone calls and perseverance to locate a shop with the equipment and knowledge to true the axles. RV dealers wanted replace the axles. The axles can be bent back to true. Mine have been twice!! The key is to ask shops that don't do it if they know of one that can.

Dealer is not the one who I took the tire repair to. But I will say that the dealer (it is a Haulmark Transport DLX) insists that there is no way to do it. He did not even offer to sell me tires, just gave me his opinion. I would love to find a dealer here in So. Ca. Can anybody suggest any place?

P.S. Thanks CH!

I can't name names (as I don't know any), but today's automotive and RV shops have forgotten how to align trailers and monobeam axles.

For camber angles, the axle either needs to be re-bent, or shims placed in behind the hubs.

Try to search for an alignment shop that specializes in HD stuff-semi's, semi trailers, etc-they'll know what the score is-they bend steering axles on semi's all the time to get them in spec.

I can't name names (as I don't know any), but today's automotive and RV shops have forgotten how to align trailers and monobeam axles.

For camber angles, the axle either needs to be re-bent, or shims placed in behind the hubs.

Try to search for an alignment shop that specializes in HD stuff-semi's, semi trailers, etc-they'll know what the score is-they bend steering axles on semi's all the time to get them in spec.

This is exactly what I had to do with my tandem axle 16' flatbed trailer. After buying the trailer new it didn't take long to go through the first set of tires. Rather than take it back to the dealer and get the run around I went to a shop that specializes in Semi Truck, Bus and RV repair and frame straightening. They basically bent the axles so that they were "true" with the frame. 5 years and many miles later the trailer pulls great and there is no uneven wear on the tires.

I'm sure this is the problem. You just need to find the right shop with the equipment to handle it.

This is exactly what I had to do with my tandem axle 16' flatbed trailer. After buying the trailer new it didn't take long to go through the first set of tires. Rather than take it back to the dealer and get the run around I went to a shop that specializes in Semi Truck, Bus and RV repair and frame straightening. They basically bent the axles so that they were "true" with the frame. 5 years and many miles later the trailer pulls great and there is no uneven wear on the tires.

I'm sure this is the problem. You just need to find the right shop with the equipment to handle it.

Thanks Dustdogg. Still though anybody have local shop suggestions in So. Cal? Or how would I search the net for it?

Thanks Dustdogg. Still though anybody have local shop suggestions in So. Cal? Or how would I search the net for it?

Open up your local yellow pages and look under "Truck Repair" (Big Truck) for an alignment shop. Ask them if they bend axles, and if they're willing to work on a small trailer.

and bias ply are load rated dont be putting a car tire on your trailer

Still could just be the wheel bearings need grease.

Even a new trailer could use a pack job after 2 yrs.

I'd give Atlas Spring in La Puente a call. I bet they will either be able to do it or will know where you could get axles done