Sign in to follow this  

another valve thread.....great...

well this brings the count to five valve threads on one page, but here we go. my valves seem to be getting noisier and noisier but starting is still somewhat ok.....im goin to check them tomorow, along with clean the bike (ha), change the oils, clean the oil filter, change the brake fluid, and hopefully change brake pads soon if i get them.....so i figured if i get to doing all that ill check the valves to see OFFICIALY if the valves are going....and if they are maby ill get a chance to grab some shims...but if i do replace the valves what needs to be done? i know i will need new valves and the seats cut, and to get the seats cut i just have to bring the head into shop and they'll do it right? well actually i know that too... but after all that what else do i NEED to replace? springs? seals? cotters? and then after that (yes theres more) i just shim the valves and im all set right? ................................and after THAT what do i do for break in? just take it easy no hard acceleration/high rpm's/lots of throttle for 1 tank of gas?

well thats alot of question marks.....but there it is, any help would be greatly appreciated

If the valve train noise is actually getting louder, it would mean the clearances are getting looser. Just tighten them back up and you are good to ride.

If the valve train noise is actually getting louder, it would mean the clearances are getting looser. Just tighten them back up and you are good to ride.

+1

but take the valve cover off and check the cleaarnce. You will know whats needed after that

45 hrs. logged and still 0 movement! clean that air filter and make sure its on the box all the way around. keep clean oil in it. 👍

I actually think the rings are going out on the piston. I get black smoke on cold start up but fine after riding. although the bike doesnt feel like its lost power. rode out in mojave monday, 112 degrees at 3pm. bike ran great, no bog.

well i cant just tighten them right...they have to be replaced, everyone been saying if you shim them too much its asking for complete failure.....once they start moving either way they have to be replaced some time or another, correct?

no, if the valves are getting noisier, that means the are getting LOOSER, and thus its not the valve seat area, or valve seat wearing/recessing into the head.

If its getting LOOSER, the top of the stem may be wearing, or the cam is wearing, but both are unlikely unless you have lubrication failure.

Odds are they are not getting looser, and if they are a little loose, you can shim it and run it, I would much prefer the valves a little loose than getting tight. Tight is definite need for new valves if its a major movement.

Just check before speculating, that way you can come here and post what is actually taking place.

ok, thats what i planned on doing, but it was still raining on off here so i couldnt get to it.... but what about my other questions...like break in and what needs to be replaced....anyone know? i know most of it im just wondering if theres something other than the valve assembly