Sign in to follow this  

yz125 what springs for a 200lbs rider?

I have a 06 yz 125. I plan on racing hare scrambles (B class) with it and play riding on some motocross tracks. I'm 5'11" 200lbs and was wondering what forks and shock springs I need to order?

check out this site www.mx-tech.com they have a spring rate calculator that will show you what springs to get and I think it even shows you the part numbers.

we are about the same weight, what size springs did they recommend?

.43 for forks

4.8 for shock

I wonder if that's with their valving and needles or stock valving that they recommend those springs.

I have had A 06 and 08 yz125 and ranged from 185to 200lbs while riding both and used stock springs in both. raced mx(not supercross type tracks) i never even touched a clicker on my 06 and on the 08 I just went to 06 clicker setting on the forks. never bottom my 06 and bottom ocassionally my 08.even did a harescramble on the 06 what a blast that was dont think i would ride anything else on the trails.

.45 forks

4.92 shock

thats wat i have on mine (same bike/ weight/ riding conditions ) and it works pretty good. i still bottom on mx but i still could go higher on the compression so i could make it better.... do u have a oversize tank

.43 for forks

4.8 for shock

I wonder if that's with their valving and needles or stock valving that they recommend those springs.

0.43 kg/mm is stock on the '08 YZ250; 4.8 is the stock '06 250 spring rate.

My question is: Are you 185 lbs. nekkid, and then 200 in your gear, or did you forget to add the weight of all of your gear, and you really weigh 215-220 lbs., ready to ride?

I have been extremely impressed with how much better my '06 YZ125 & 250's work with stiffer springs and an MX-Tech revalve.

The most noticable difference is how well they absorb the sharp-edge stuff, such as rocks, roots, logs, ledges, etc.

If you cannot afford a revalve now, I'd suggest that you go with the heavier springs and then back off the clickers a bunch for tight, technical trails. For faster, more open stuff, you can go back up some, and then if you go to a MX track, you can go in some more with the clickers, as you feel the need. On both my 125 & 250, I backed the clickers to full soft, when I was riding with the stock springs & valving, for the tight woods.

IMHO, correct spring rates are the best way to improve the overall handling of your bike. (We haven't even discussed steering here on this thread.)

Based on my '07 full gear weight of 260#, I initially set up my 125 with 450F springs (0.46 & 5.4,) but now that I am down to 245# in gear, I want to go to 0.44 & 5.2 for my tight woods (enduro) riding. Note: I like my front a bit softer, and my rear a bit stiffer, for the turning characteristics I prefer. (I do need to keep my steering head bearings adjusted correctly.)

I hope this helps you out a bit. Jeremy Wilkey knows his stuff pretty well. Make sure you set your sag standing on the pegs, as he suggests.

Good luck. KW

I am 220 geared up.

I went to the yamaha dealer to day and ordered .45 fork springs and 5.0 shock spring. (factory connection springs) I'll try springs first and see how it works before I spend more money on a re valve job. I spent enough money with Eric Gorr. Who did a awesome job on my motor.

I don't have a bigger tank. I thought about putting a WR fuel valve on the tank so I would have reserve, and just stop for gas.

Cheeks, I think you will be pleased with the improvement. Keeping the suspension higher in the stroke improves many aspects of how your bike works.

What did you 'order up' from Eric? I'm curious to hear more about the details.

Remember that taking the time to get the jetting right will usually increase your fuel range significantly, as the '06 125's came jetted pretty rich from the factory. What brass are you running?

What part of Iowa are you in? I'll be in eastern Iowa next week.

I sent my whole motor out to Eric and he turned it into 155 (bore and stroked)with low to mid porting on race gas. Brass-40PJ 440MJ. The only thing I don't like about the motor mod is running high price race gas, But I wanted the most torque and HP I could get. I had 3 KTM 200's and I wanted to try something different so I bought a slightly used 06 yz 125. When I bought the yz it had a 144 kit. I rode it with the 144 kit a few times, but it still was lacking compared to my ktm200's. That's why I had E.Gorr make it into a 155. The 155 has a lot more power everywhere compared to the 144 , but it still is lacking a little on the bottom compared to the ktm200.

I am in central Iowa and I'm curtly laid up from a little knee surgery this past wednesday.👍

I've never had good luck going with the spring rates on suspension sites. I go at least one spring up what they recommend now and so far its working.