Sign in to follow this  

Looking for DMV help in Nor-Cal

After much research I found someone who said she could get my Honda 450x

plated. After I put the dual-sport kit on, it turns out she can't help me. I know there are "dealer services" types who are familiar with doing the paperwork corrrectly. Does anyone know of someone who might be able to help me get plated? I am in the Stockton/Modesto area. Thanks, PD

do a search guys................:doh:

the search function can be your friend...........:D

and really, this topic has been beat to the death time & time again:bonk:

you might be lucky & get a newer off-road only bike registered, but eventually......eventually the plate ploice will catch up with you and pull your tag:busted:

and then what are you gonna do without your ride.....walk?:worthy:

go out & buy a cheap older road only bike.....plate it.....do the mnx on it.....and be glad that you don't live here in Phoenix where you gotta get it smog tested & pass the sniff test every year just to keep your plate....👍

happyriding !!

:busted::blah:

.....and be glad that you don't live here in Phoenix where you gotta get it smog tested & pass the sniff test every year just to keep your plate....👍

:blah: There is no more smog tests for motorcycles in Maricopa county and with the Indicia Plate (copper sticker) program starting in Jan with the street legal option it will be even easier :worthy:

To the original poster ......... I left the SanFran area in 01 :busted:

. I know there are "dealer services" types who are familiar with doing the paperwork corrrectly. . Thanks, PD

If the paperwork is done "correctly" you will never get a plate. IT IS NOT LEAGAL! 👍

I can do it, but first you must send me $1000 through a pay pal account. I can't accept checks, they won't cash them here in Nigeria. As soon as the money is in my account, i will tell you how to do it.

PM only please.

I can do it, but first you must send me $1000 through a pay pal account. I can't accept checks, they won't cash them here in Nigeria. As soon as the money is in my account, i will tell you how to do it.

PM only please.

For a measly fee of $980. forwarded to my Swiss/offshore account via Paypal, an anonymous poster will send you everythig not to do. (very important)

or you could just do a little reading!! 👍 ....if it was only that easy. :worthy:

After much research I found someone who said she could get my Honda 450x

plated. After I put the dual-sport kit on, it turns out she can't help me. I know there are "dealer services" types who are familiar with doing the paperwork corrrectly. Does anyone know of someone who might be able to help me get plated? I am in the Stockton/Modesto area. Thanks, PD

don't waste your time, I just went through the whole God awful experience dealing with the DMV, I talked to three different people and got three different answers. I it were a real business they would have been out of work along time ago, the end result was the only reason they never sold me a plate was the Mfg. sticker on the frame said "off road safety only" Totally B.S.

Thanks for all the replies/opinions. I see now that it cannot be done. There is no need for further comments on the subject. PD

Thanks for all the replies/opinions. I see now that it cannot be done. There is no need for further comments on the subject. PD

Sure there is: Husky, KTM, Beta, Sherco, old XR650R, any plated pre-2004 dirt bike (craigslist).

A savy person may find a dude on Craigslist that can do it, but is it bulletproof legal? Might be worth the couple hundred bucks until the plates are revoked though.

I heard through a friends ex brother in-law who heard from his toothless mother that a dude named Joe Racer does it for a coupel of hundred bucks. You do the light kit and get it signed off by CHP then send hij the paperwork and money and you end up with plates.

"A savy person may find a dude on Craigslist that can do it, but is it bulletproof legal? Might be worth the couple hundred bucks until the plates are revoked though.

I heard through a friends ex brother in-law who heard from his toothless mother that a dude named Joe Racer does it for a coupel of hundred bucks. You do the light kit and get it signed off by CHP then send hij the paperwork and money and you end up with plates."

IF ONLY it were a couple hundred bucks...maybe....

I wouldn't bother with it. If you get a plate by DMV by mistake and if they don't catch you on it later, then wait till you get harrassed by CHP or local police on the pullover. "Oh, no DOT tires either?" There's a nice fat ticket if you're not super-careful with everything.

As to the other method of retitling and re-vinning as an on-road/special construction, so you're essentially just getting paperwork that then no longer matches your bike. So it's not quite, but close to, simply taking a plate from one Chevy and putting it on another. And then your original title is voided during the process as you have to include that when you process and worthless so now you're left with a dirtbike with a non-matching VIN and model number that you paid over $600 to get just for the papers ($1500 complete with light, etc. kit)? I don't think that I'd want to go that route personally, but to each his own. If the VIN on the actual bike COULD be altered legally (and maybe it can?), then that would be one thing, but I don't know if I'd want mismatching documents with my bike with the old title invalidated.

You guys worry way too much. Get a plate and ride. $... That's up to you. It doesn't have to be so difficult. I'm going riding!! 👍:worthy:

i have asked this before but

i have a plated wr450, TITLE says motorcycle, not dual sport, not dual purpose, not not for highway use,

if it says motorcycle why cant someone in kali get a plate 4 it?

i have asked this before but

i have a plated wr450, TITLE says motorcycle, not dual sport, not dual purpose, not not for highway use,

if it says motorcycle why cant someone in kali get a plate 4 it?

California requires a sticker permanently attached to the MC that says the MC complies with all California emission standards (50 state legal). It's not about the title, it"s strictly a emissions requirement...👍

what about sendign the title to a guy in ohio with a bill of sale and then he converts it to "mc".......then sends the title back to you with a bill of sale and a legal title...... 👍IMG_5191-1.jpgIMG_5217.jpg

no can do, they have out of state bike transfer laws to keep that from happening! once again this thread needs to die as it is not possible to plate a bike in cali!

Met a guy on a ride a few months ago. He got his 08WR plated from the dealer. He didn't elaborate on the details but almost sure he'll loose his plate after a year or so due to the dealer changing the vin info to trick the dmv. It's not if, but when they catch it, he'll loose it. The worst part about it is the CHP or any other police officer sees the vin on the paperwork doens't match the frame info. by by plate and hello red sticker.

I did my own few weeks ago and all the DMV reg matches the bike. Right down to the engine number. I also have the green sticker still. Just lucky I guess. Did my homework and filled out the paprwork carefully. No friends or connections at DMV, just lucky..........

Still taking a chance on it.