i messed up hose routing.. maybe, need help

so i posted earlier about a dr650 that want running right, anyways, i took off the carb, cleaned it (it was effing filthy and dirty.. MAD DIRT!) not the way a carb should be.. anyways, i cleaned it for an hour or so as best i could, and started re-assembling.. i have the choke cable re-installed, main fuel line from peacock thing, the vacuum line from peacock/gas tank to the top of carburetor, and the 'air filter for the diaphragm on the carb' and of course the main air connection and the rubber engine connection and now heres my problem...

there's a 3rd line from the gas tank, and im not really sure where it goes, there's a connection on the right side of carb, top of carb, that i hooked up a hose to that i thought it went to, but this hose has no end to it and just after 7 inches cuts.. i thought it was some sort of breather hose, anyways when i try to start the engine.. gas starts pouring out... freakin not sweet... and under the carb is a brass hose connector.. according to the 'vaccum hose routing chart' sticker on the left side of the bike, everything is hooked up properly..

why is fuel spilling out of that 'breather hose??? ?:worthy::busted:

So you have 2 line from the petcock on the gastank to the carburator, a fat one goes to the lower right of the carb (gas) and a slimmer one goes to the top of the carb (vacuum). Now that 3rd hose from the tank is the same diameter as the gas hose, right? ( and comes at the carb from the right side (rear brake side))that should be the breather-hose for your gas tank. If this is the case then I believe you have a California model with the emissions stuff. Mine had it too even though I bought it in NV. Anyway, there should also be a small black plastic cannister mounted vertically to the frame next to the carb on the shifter (riders left) side. Now, I totally forget how the emissions routing goes becasue I took mine off a while ago, but that 3rd hose from the tank somehow connects into the emissions thing, and then there is another hose that goes from the emissions thing to that brass hose connector you mentioned.

Also, there is a short hose (same diamater as the gas line) that goes from the right side (riders right) of the carb to the airbox. I think this is the thing that you say is leaking gas. Plug up the brass hose connector with yuor finger and see if this stopps it. But I really have no idea why gas would shoot out of your breather hose. OH! and since your breather hose that should go into the airbox is just dangling (probably has been) thay would explain the incredible amount of dirt in your carb. On the airbox, riders right side and carbs side there is a hose connetor that the breather hooks onto.

well i found out what was wrong, im basically an idiot, when i tore down the carb, the float piece fell off the workbench and when i put the carb back togetheer, kinda forgot it to put it back on, i guess thats why fuel was going back into the carb chambers.. sweeeet. but on a side note, that breather tube that NVDESERTKID mentioned has no plug into the airbox.. well at least that ive seen.. i see a little nipple stub on the airbox , but its blocked off, so i really have no idea where the breather hooks into

well i found out what was wrong, im basically an idiot, when i tore down the carb, the float piece fell off the workbench and when i put the carb back togetheer, kinda forgot it to put it back on, i guess thats why fuel was going back into the carb chambers.. sweeeet. but on a side note, that breather tube that NVDESERTKID mentioned has no plug into the airbox.. well at least that ive seen.. i see a little nipple stub on the airbox , but its blocked off, so i really have no idea where the breather hooks into

Hmmm, blocked off huh? well you might want to put a little filter on that breather in the mean time.

• 2 months later...
projectmrod, you ever figure out where that hose hanging off the right side of the carb went? Ive got it dangling as well after modding the airbox. Can't seem to find a home for it. Didn't notice it dangling before!

In the manual it sits on top of the airbox between the frame and the snorkle.