Sign in to follow this  

02 yz 250 are they any good ?

hey well when my yzf 250 sells im loking at getting this 2002 yz 250 what i just wanted to know is there any problem with say know the 02 yzfs had a shit gear boxvi found that one out do the yz's have a shit one or are they pretty bullet proof and just any other info on the bike and if i should look out for any thing with that particular year cheers sam

The only problem Ive had with mine is i likes to ride me into the ground hard when I crash. Its like theres a giant magnet in my ass or something and that bike follows me down. As far as mechanical though, I haven had any problems wih the OEM equipment.

ah sweet so 03 would be the same prettymuch cause iv also just discover one thats been fully rebuilt for a good price hopfully my bike sells soon go check em out

Yeah the 02 and 03 are pretty much the same machine.

Get the forks revalved and you'll be very happy!

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=50935

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=50934

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=50933

the 03 have minor minor motor changes over the 02 like the crank bolt is a little bigger and the taper on the rod is a little different but you wont be able to tell a difference. i have an 03 and ill never look at anything else

ohk cool thanks for the replies seems no one wants a 02 yzf 250 in south australia haha damit

very good bikes! i had an 02 and currently ride an 05,the suspension is better on the 05 ,but the 02 was'nt bad. if you rode the two bikes back to back and did'nt look at the frames it would be hard to tell a difference.

My friend and I both raced 02 YZ250s in enduros. Both of us are A riders and the bikes were well maintained. On my bike, after less than a season on it, the piston shattered, topped out in 3rd causing some serious engine damage. The connecting rod snapped, a skirt was knocked off of the cylinder and the cases were cracked. The engine is totaled. I still have it and will rebuild it someday. It sucked because I was paying for a bike that I couldnt ride and would cost too much to fix at the time. My friend went through multiple center power valves, he ran his bike for several seasons. My old 01 YZ250 has an identical motor to the 02, same crank, cylinder etc. and aside from 1 broken center power valve, I had no problems. My brother owns it now. I know of another guy that had the same problem as mine on his 02. I remember reading a press release for the then new 03 models and it mentioned that the 03 recieved a more durable piston for better reliability.:worthy:👍 Hence the switch to green bikes, they have had a few issues as well but nothing as serious as the YZ. Dont get me wrong, I loved the YZ, but the issue I had has soured me a little. I would still consider one in the future though.

My '02 has about 100hrs. on it, is on its 4th piston (through regular maintenance), and has been bulletproof.

I run 91 pump, 32:1 Yamalube, stay on top of the jetting, air filter, transmission oil, power valve cleaning and chain, it never fouls or breaks.

I literally mix up some gas and go, month after month.

A possible cause for my failure could have been the center powervalve breaking and sliding back, hitting the piston. The 2 ears that act like stops are thin and thats what broke on mine. My friends valve actualy started hitting the piston, but he caught his in time.

thanks for the replies still no one wants my bike looks like im gona be keepin the 4 stroke which im not realy happy about

My friend and I both raced 02 YZ250s in enduros. Both of us are A riders and the bikes were well maintained. On my bike, after less than a season on it, the piston shattered, topped out in 3rd causing some serious engine damage. The connecting rod snapped, a skirt was knocked off of the cylinder and the cases were cracked. The engine is totaled. I still have it and will rebuild it someday. It sucked because I was paying for a bike that I couldnt ride and would cost too much to fix at the time. My friend went through multiple center power valves, he ran his bike for several seasons. My old 01 YZ250 has an identical motor to the 02, same crank, cylinder etc. and aside from 1 broken center power valve, I had no problems. My brother owns it now. I know of another guy that had the same problem as mine on his 02. I remember reading a press release for the then new 03 models and it mentioned that the 03 recieved a more durable piston for better reliability.:worthy:👍 Hence the switch to green bikes, they have had a few issues as well but nothing as serious as the YZ. Dont get me wrong, I loved the YZ, but the issue I had has soured me a little. I would still consider one in the future though.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. In that case if the cast piston were bad for that model you should get a Wiseco forged piston or the newer "more durable" 03 and higher cast model.

The current factory pistons are the same part number for 2002 through 2004.