Sign in to follow this  

new chain problem?

I recently decided to replace my chain that came stock with an RK 520EXW.

I installed the chain without any major trouble but when i spin the wheel it makes a click sound as the joining link goes through the chain guide under the swing arm.

I thought perhaps the new chain is thicker than the oem one? Will this cause me any major problems?

The guy at the store i bought the chain from assured me it was right for the bike but the clicking sound doesnt fill me with confidence 👍

Any x or o-ring chain is wider than the OEM non o-ring chain.

The guide is designed for the narrower chain. It will wear the guide and end up clearing it, but if the guide has a slight bend to it, which most do, it will rub worse.

Be sure the chain is centered between the guide and see how bad it's rubbing.

I normally throw the stock guides in the trash and install a TM Designs guide when when new. More clearance for the chain and much more durable.

Thanks Throttlejockey, I will look into buying an aftermarket chain guide.

I have a track day on sunday and im not sure i will be able to fix the problem before then, will i be ok riding it the way it is? i dont mind if the guide wears as i plan on getting a new one.

Sometimes it will wear in. Like I stated if the the chain is centered it will be fine.

If it's off-center it will wear more on the master-link or the back side of the chain.

If you have a dremel you can trim some of the plastic off the sides of the guide.

ahh the dremel, what problem cant it solve 👍 i will grind some off the guide. thanks again TJ