Sign in to follow this  

Plastic gas tank paint

Gents & Ladies,

I want to paint the gas tank of my YZ426 Black (It is currently made from a colour impregnated blue plastic). Can anyone help with the following:-

1) What sort of preperation is required on a plastic tank to help the paint stick

2) What paint is suitable to be applied to a plastic tank and will resist Petrol?

3) Any other suggestions?

I put this in the general section as it applies to anyone wanting to paint a plastic gas tank..

Thanks Gary

Gents & Ladies,

I want to paint the gas tank of my YZ426 Black (It is currently made from a colour impregnated blue plastic). Can anyone help with the following:-

1) What sort of preperation is required on a plastic tank to help the paint stick

2) What paint is suitable to be applied to a plastic tank and will resist Petrol?

I put this in the general section as it applies to anyone wanting to paint a plastic gas tank..

Thanks Gary

I recently had the tank shrouds painted on my bike by a paint shop since i got a discount. They told me upfront there was no guaranty it would last. Might want to check with a local paint/body shop for any recommendations! So far i've chipped one of the edges and it hasn't flaked...good luck!

you can buy black plastic spray paint at autozone it will flex.

but you will still have to repaint it every 2 yrs or so.

i used a brush and house paint on the xr250 looks like trash but did its job.

Gents & Ladies,

Thanks Gary

Prepping requires sanding it down to give a rough texture for the paint to adhere...that was the shops main issue with painting plastic...

Seriously?

I wouldn't bother.

Paint has a tough time sticking to plastic in the first place. Then add in gas vapors and gas spills, plus your knees rubbing it off, it will look terrible in short order.

I'd save up for a different tank.

Many thanks for all the replies, I hadn't realised the plastic breathes, so lets the gas vapours pass through. I am going to dye it as per KJ's link..

Frying tonight :worthy: well boiling a tank tonight, but it doesn't have the same ring to it.. 👍

Well I had to cook the tank twice, and leave it for 48 hours each time, but I now have a nice black tank that should not be effected by the gas fumes coming throught the tank. Many thanks to the Thumper WEB site for all the great information..

What about Krylon Fusion paint for plastics? Wouldn't that work since it chemically bonds to plastic and wont chip or flake? I haven't used it on a dirt bike but have used it for other things and it works great. Just an idea.

I tried the Krylon and had a problem. I called Krylon and they said I needed an adhesive accelerator first. It helps a lot.

Don

Dying it just seemed like the right thing to do, the dye gets into the plastic so it will not lift, it continues to let the tank breath as before and if scratched it will not reveal the original tank colour as the dye has entered inside the plastic. Plus I never manage to paint things well, I either get runs or an orange peel finish! Nothing could be easier that sinking the tank in a large container full of boiling black water and waiting 48 hours..

Dying it just seemed like the right thing to do, the dye gets into the plastic so it will not lift, it continues to let the tank breath as before and if scratched it will not reveal the original tank colour as the dye has entered inside the plastic. Plus I never manage to paint things well, I either get runs or an orange peel finish! Nothing could be easier that sinking the tank in a large container full of boiling black water and waiting 48 hours..

I did it, worked great.