Body Armor or Chest Protector?

I personally don't wear either... but NUN wears the body armor. She'll wear it over a t-shirt... which looks nice and cool w/all that mesh. I'm sure she could easily throw a jersey over it for cooler days.

The armor appears to have more protection, more flexibility and more overall air flow.

Just my .02!

Here's NUN (on the left) in her armor:

WR%20July_%2020%20002.jpg

One issue she has w/hers is it tends to ride up. I suggested adding a button or velcro or some way to attach to the top of her pants to help hold it down. The one you have pictured has a velcro waist (built in kidney belt?) that should help w/that problem!

HI Betty! that armor looks great! I like the fit and feel of my Fox women's chest protector(it's 08? model, size M/L) it's nice there aren't boob cups on that model ?

I've taken too many sticks and gravel superman slides and ends of logs even to the chest and arms to ever go without some sort of protection.

I really like that picture of you guys!

I've never tried the body armour but it looks too hot to me. May breath better than I think it will. Karl got me a Thor Women's CP for my bday and it fits me well. It would work for a shorter torso too and it has pretty good ventilation, even with my MSR front pack strapped on it.

Venitilation is a big one for me too! I just cant focuse on riding if I get too dang hot. I think you could probably just wear a tank top or just sports bra under the armor so I would think that would help keep one cool.

I definitely cant go without protection either - especailly since the guys tires pitch rocks right into my chest (believe, it hurts!) and then those branches cant really put a whopp'n on yah rallying through the tight trees!!! Plus, I'd feel safer if I was wearing elbow protection too - hence, be able to focus on pushing it a little harder.

That's a great pic BBBOM! Hopefully we can get one like that when/if you gals make it down!

I bought Kris the Thor Impact Rig SE last year, and he says that with a ventilated jersey over it, it is no hotter than wearing a regular jersey alone. I just bought him a Coolmax undershirt but he hasn't worn it yet.

I think they serve two entirely different purposes. Regular plastic chest protectors really aren't made to absorb an impact. They are better called roost guards. They may spread out impact some, but not the same as the padding of the body armor setups.

I would like to get the smaller size of the Thor setup; I am not well enough endowed to require the cup shaped chest part of the women's gear, and I really liked the fit and feel of the Thor armor. I think there will be fewer rubbed places with that than I get with my women's chest protector (especially when I'm wearing a pack over it). Neither are bad, really.

I personally don't wear either... but NUN wears the body armor. She'll wear it over a t-shirt... which looks nice and cool w/all that mesh. I'm sure she could easily throw a jersey over it for cooler days.

The armor appears to have more protection, more flexibility and more overall air flow.

Just my .02!

Here's NUN (on the left) in her armor:

WR%20July_%2020%20002.jpg

One issue she has w/hers is it tends to ride up. I suggested adding a button or velcro or some way to attach to the top of her pants to help hold it down. The one you have pictured has a velcro waist (built in kidney belt?) that should help w/that problem!

Uggh, I look like a red headed squaw! I like my BA (Alpinestar Bionic) a lot and it's extremely comfortable and cool, but I’m not sure it would give you enough protection if you ride in an area with lots of rocks. It did come with an attachable kidney belt, but it’s not comfortable to wear for trail riding as this unit is more street oriented than off road. I’m also not sure it would keep a stick from running through you, but I’ve yet to test that aspect and I’ve heard of guys getting run through with sticks who did have a CP on, so it might be a toss up on that one. It rides up because it’s a men’s small and it’s not set up to accommodate boobies. But what the heck it was a $40.00 ebay special.:worthy: I mostly need protection on my shoulders and elbows from clipping trees, so for me it works great and I don’t have sore shoulders and elbows any more. ?

I've ridden with both body armor (Dainese) and chest protector (MSR youth large) and much prefer the chest protector over the body armor. I wear a camel back during my trail rides, and after each ride, I would get 2 huge sores on my lower back from where the camelback made the body armor back plate rub my back. It was horrible. Plus it was really hot. The extra layer was nice in the winter, but definitely was over kill in the summer. I love the chest protector. It doesn't rub, cools much better and doesn't make you look like a heffer like the body armor did. The only thing I kinda miss with the chest protector are the elbow/forearm guards.

Body Armor! I have the Alpinestars Stella. I've added some velcro to the kidney belt section, as it wore out/wasn't long enough. I KNOW it has saved my shoulders in 2 pretty nasty crashes. 1 into a huge pile of rocks that would have torn me up. Hot- yes! I wear an underarmor layer under it and it wicks the sweat away. Between the elbow/shoulder protection and the spine protection, I won't ride with anything else.

that is what I have. I like it except that it is pink.

and the torso is too short for me. I attached snaps to the armor and my pants to pull the armor down so the kidney belt part is not around my ribs.

I got the small and I am 5'7" and 135#.

Much more comfortable than my old acerbis Lady whatever

ug.jpg

the rockgardn is very comfortable with the camelback compared to my chest protector.

I didn't think I would mind the pink since I would be wearing a jersey over it anyway, but turns out that without a jersey it is so nice and cool.

Hey DVK, where do you live in Illinois? Where do trail ride? I'm from southwest side of Chicago. Just curious, since I'm in CA now.

Humbolt Park neighborhood or, if you are a real estate agent, West Bucktown;)

Closest place to ride is Buffalo Range in Ottawa, IL. Forest City Riders hold 2 very cool events a year by Byron, IL. Otherwise, long weekends in Michigan, Ice riding in WI.

Oh, there is an impromptu riding spot at Pulaski and 42nd place with a man made whoop section and jumps.

T.jpg

http://dvkphoto.com/PHOTOALBUM/000000/ridergallery_005Pulaski.html

I heard you can go out to Palos Park in the woods out there ... I'll try to find out where and if its legal....ohfugit lives downtown and rides, dont know if you talk to him...he's a nice guy...he goes out there. met him here on TT.

I mountain bike at Palos a lot. No motorized vehicles are allowed in the park itself, but I heard of something by the tracks etc. outside of the park. But if I am going to load up and go somewhere, Buffalo is not too much farther and it is a hoot.

Interesting to hear of other people downtown. Don't really come across many that I don't know. What does he ride?

Karen that was a great shot of you girls, lookin forward to gettin back up there soon, Man that was a fun week, I could ride that place everyday, miss it alot allready, and yea stacy you looked like an indian lol, but a cute one lol, at least you were on a kawi,

I wear a thor impact rig and LOVE it. I can honestly say that it is responsible for keeping me healthy in both of my big crashes this year. First was the take down over a step down and the second was when I was run over in July. All I have to do is look at my bike and my gear to know that I will never ride without my impact rig. I feel so strongly about it I am thinking of writing thor a letter on how much I love their product....without it I would have had some serious internal injuries, for sure.