Sign in to follow this  

Tell me how to get this cartridge apart

I asked part of this question in another thread. But it's crunch time. Due to a screw up, my parts won't be here until tomorrow. What tools will I need to split the damper and replace the seal? I'm sorry this pic sucks. But is this the peen mark that I need to remove? The track is open this weekend and I've got to be there. Thanks!!!

253125.jpg

Yes, there are 4 small peen marks there. Just drill far enough to relieve the peening but not all the way through. Then you will need a special set of aluminum tube/rod vise clamps to hold the cartridge. Once held then use a 17mm hex on a 1/2ln. impact to spin out. You may need to take a thread file and clean the threads up. I've also found that if there is a small amount of peening left on the inside its best to take a small dremal bit and smooth them out before putting back together. Use a small drop of locktight on the holder before assembly.

doc

1/2" impact to spin it out?! Wow.......

Drill the peens (or use the tool Uwe refers to.....wish I had one, but I trust myself to drill them) and at the base of the compression assy. tank you'll see 4 flats. Use a vise to hold the flats, warm the area where the peens were with a propane torch and with a 1/2" RATCHET........unscrew the seal holder.

wish I had one

nothing sophisticated about this tool

but instead of buying the imho way overpriced KYB special tool i bought the pipe cutter and replaced the knife wheel (whatever you call it) with a ball bearing.

1/2" impact to spin it out?! Wow.......

Drill the peens (or use the tool Uwe refers to.....wish I had one, but I trust myself to drill them) and at the base of the compression assy. tank you'll see 4 flats. Use a vise to hold the flats, warm the area where the peens were with a propane torch and with a 1/2" RATCHET........unscrew the seal holder.

Yup done it MANY times that way. Don't understand this "pipe cutter" tool though:excuseme:

doc

The pipe cutter is cool. You know the tube cutters like plumbers use, right doc? It's got two sharp wheels and a handle where you can tighten the "blade" and cut a steel tube. I know you've seen them. Anyway, like Uwe says, you replace the sharp wheels with ball bearings and you end up with two flat surfaces to place over the peens in the tube. Put the tool on, tighten lightly and rotate a revolution or two.....a little tighter and another rotation or two....and so on. Basically, you're burnishing the peens down and breaking up the loc-tite at the same time. Then the cartridge comes right apart. This is KYB's "official" way to do the job. But the tool from them is crazy expensive!

It's a neat way to do the job, I've just been to lazy (oops! I mean BUSY) to build one for myself.

The pipe cutter is cool. You know the tube cutters like plumbers use, right doc? It's got two sharp wheels and a handle where you can tighten the "blade" and cut a steel tube. I know you've seen them. Anyway, like Uwe says, you replace the sharp wheels with ball bearings and you end up with two flat surfaces to place over the peens in the tube. Put the tool on, tighten lightly and rotate a revolution or two.....a little tighter and another rotation or two....and so on. Basically, you're burnishing the peens down and breaking up the loc-tite at the same time. Then the cartridge comes right apart. This is KYB's "official" way to do the job. But the tool from them is crazy expensive!

It's a neat way to do the job, I've just been to lazy (oops! I mean BUSY) to build one for myself.

Thats pretty cool:thumbsup: I actually have a pipe cutter like that since thats what I use to cut PVC when making spacers. I'll give it a try next time.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks......👍:worthy:

doc

nothing sophisticated about this tool

but instead of buying the imho way overpriced KYB special tool i bought the pipe cutter and replaced the knife wheel (whatever you call it) with a ball bearing.

Hey frezno-

you happen to have a pic of this tool? I'm drawing a blank with the "remove the cutter wheel and replace with a ball bearing"?:worthy: How does the ball bearing stop from just rolling out??? Am I missing something really simple? 👍 (its been known to happen in the past!):busted:

adam

Hey frezno-

you happen to have a pic of this tool? I'm drawing a blank with the "remove the cutter wheel and replace with a ball bearing"?:worthy: How does the ball bearing stop from just rolling out??? Am I missing something really simple? 👍 (its been known to happen in the past!):busted:

adam

I'm thinking that you remove the cutting wheel then use the 2 sides of the tool to "clamp" the ball brg. onto the tube (think of the tool as vise grips without a cutter??)........instead of the cutter being there cutting there is a ball brg "clamped" so to speak onto the tube and then roll it around on the peening marks kinda "flattening" them out......kinda, maybe:excuseme:

doc

you happen to have a pic of this tool?

sure thing

on the very left side you can see the removed cutting wheel and the bearing installed instead.

Works like Richard described

pcuttercj4.jpg

I get it, it's a bearing not a ball bearing.

Are these Showas, cause on KYBs I've never seen the peening?

i'm a dope. how do i remove/move the damper rod to access the end with a 17mm hex?

1. Remove the compression assembly and drain cartridge.

2. Clamp the cartridge rod put below the rebound bolt jam nut.

3. Remove the jam nut. You may be able to hold the cartridge rod with your hand and remove the nut with your fingers?

4. Inspect the threads for any sharp areas that sticking up. Clean any burrs with a fine knife stone. Wrap a couple turns of thread tape around the threads.

5. Push the cartridge rod out top of cartridge.

man, that's what i was afraid of. i hope i don't have to clamp anything to the damper rod. if so, i can machine some alu as a V block. maybe i can hold it with this gripper rubbery material i have on hand. works for spin off filters.

1. Remove the compression assembly and drain cartridge.

2. Clamp the cartridge rod put below the rebound bolt jam nut.

3. Remove the jam nut. You may be able to hold the cartridge rod with your hand and remove the nut with your fingers?

4. Inspect the threads for any sharp areas that sticking up. Clean any burrs with a fine knife stone. Wrap a couple turns of thread tape around the threads.

5. Push the cartridge rod out top of cartridge.

i can machine some alu as a V block.

if you can machine a v-block you should be able (and imho it's easier) to machine a rod holder.

Take a block, drill through a hole and cut it through

man, that's what i was afraid of. i hope i don't have to clamp anything to the damper rod. if so, i can machine some alu as a V block. maybe i can hold it with this gripper rubbery material i have on hand. works for spin off filters.

It won't be very tight...as I said before, you can probably hold it with one hand and snap the nut loose with the other...or wrap a piece of rubber hose around it and hold it with pliers?

that was cake. grabbed rod(no jokes) with rubber mat, spun it off, drilled peens, and removed cap. upon inspection i noticed i didn't drill enough of the peens. cleaned it all up. drilled more on the second one and it came off really clean. my only flaw was i didn't use alu blocks to hold the cartridge. it spun on both until i tightened them enough. i now will clean them up with fine emery. too bad mx tech didn't send my parts to my shipping address. i guess they're at home. that blows as i'm ready to reassemble. thanks dudes!

It won't be very tight...as I said before, you can probably hold it with one hand and snap the nut loose with the other...or wrap a piece of rubber hose around it and hold it with pliers?