Tell me how to get this cartridge apart

too bad mx tech didn't send my parts to my shipping address. i guess they're at home.

Is the shipping address where your credit card bill goes to? It's a common rule to ship only to the billing address. Helps us prevent fraud.

i know. i figure that's what happened except the "billing address" on the invoice isn't for the card i used. now it's at two possible locations(my house, card holder's house). rats!

Is the shipping address where your credit card bill goes to? It's a common rule to ship only to the billing address. Helps us prevent fraud.

AHHHHH I see know.....interesting:bonk:

doc

Yes, its alot clearer now for sure...here i was thinking "how the hell do i keep a ball bearing from falling out?!!?!?!!?!?:busted: never even occurred to me it was a roller bearing!!!:worthy:

Great idea, frezno- I'm gonna grab one up tomorrow and mod it up- got davej's mods for my 2001 cr 125 (kyb 46mm) to install, be much easier to do the mid removal with this tool!!!!

Thanks!!?

Adam

you dont need them on the cr kyb, the botoming cone unscrews apart, remove the wire clip and then the rod passes out through the bottom, very nice and easy.

thanks, mog- i haven't had a set of these apart for some time, kinda going backwards in terms of bikes lately (as in getting older ones instead of new)!!

still, a cool tool and idea- i will still make one, will need it eventually!!

adam

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How deep do you have to drill, and how hot do you have to get it?

I have drilled a good 1/8 inch in each peen hole, and heated with a propane torch and it will not move. I will try the pipe cutter thing also.

How deep do you have to drill, and how hot do you have to get it?

I have drilled a good 1/8 inch in each peen hole, and heated with a propane torch and it will not move. I will try the pipe cutter thing also.

You don't need to drill at all. Remove the cartridge. At the top of it you will notice some small peens on the tube! Heat this area (GENTLY) with a propane torch and tap around the peens with the tube on a flat hard surface with a small ball peen hammer(GENTLY). Once you have done this you can unscrew the top assembly off. Undo it gently to make sure no threads pick up on any peens you have not flattened enough. If it picks up reheat and tap again.

I the pic you can see the peens and the top cap taken off. Your will be a little different but pretty similar.

DSCN2291.jpg

You then need to get the peen off the end of the cartridge rod

Peen on

DSCN2293.jpg

Peen Off

DSCN2294.jpg

You can now gently take off the piston and have a look at the compression and mid valve shims on that fork you will prolly find the mid valve shims bent or dished.

Also check the cartridge for wear and the piston seal ?:worthy: Have fun

MM

-- Edited by Marty Moose on Tuesday 21st of July 2009 04:34:42 AM

-- Edited by Marty Moose on Tuesday 21st of July 2009

This doesn't work everywhere however. The county I live has no home mail delivery. Everyone has to go to the P.O. to get mail. UPS can't ship to a P.O. box.

You don't need to drill at all. Remove the cartridge. At the top of it you will notice some small peens on the tube! Heat this area (GENTLY) with a propane torch and tap around the peens with the tube on a flat hard surface with a small ball peen hammer(GENTLY).

can work, doesn't need to work always...

not removing the peening can hurt the threads - it's just aluminum - of course, the peen hammer helps, but: be cautious!

When you need a certain force to get the cartridge turned, something's going wrong...

I converted my pipe cutter to one with the roller bearing, and as reported earlier that I drilled, heated and beat on the cartridge with nothing happening.

With just two turns around the shaft, I removed the piece with my fingers.

Thanks for the Info.