Sign in to follow this  

Scotts steering damper universal??

yes. Brackets and stems are different for each frame and bar mount. My Scotts has lasted me through 3 bikes. We service it once every 3-4 years.

For the most part, there are street versions and off road versions

the difference is in the damping.

If I remember, the off road version damps off of center (like when you hit a rock/root) to keep the bike straight but "free bleeds" back to center, so you are not fighting the damper when turning

The Street version has damping both away and back to center

Or it could be 180 degree oposite of that!

you are correct on the damping of street and dirt. Also, the road model should have an R stamped on the top of the front.

I would be a little leery about buying one off of ebay. The guy may "say" it works but does he really know ? I bought a few off ebay for some club buddies but new I would be sending them into Scotts to check them over. They will do that for about $50 I think. All of the ones I sent in, even the "like new" looking ones needed about $100 or so worth of stuff to get them up to snuff.

Keep that in mind while you bid. That said, I do not think I would hesitate to buy a used one from someone here on TT. People here usually know what they have and are honest about it.