Sign in to follow this  

headlight not working on xl600r ??

I have an 83 xl 600r that I have ben trying to bring back to life recently,, I have not ben able to get the thing to produce spark.. I replaced the coil and CDI box so far..and still getting nothing.. I have recently posted on this site about my problem but I forgot to mention that the headlight is also not working. I have replaced the bulb, repeatedly checked all the wiring for the light and connections, (everything is good) and tested the headlight high/low beam switch, (switch is good)... I am now trying to determine if I need to replace the stator or the pulse generator?? with just the ignition key on and the bike not running should my headlight be on??? or does the bike have to be running for the headlight to be on??? I appreciate any help, I am still pritty new with this and am trying to learn as much as I can... thanks..

I have the same bike, same year. The headlight will not come on with just the ignition switch. The bike must be running. Threw me at first too! Good luck with the bike. They're a blast. There's a lot of people on here that know these bikes so keep posting and we'll do what we can to help.

Hope your sure the rest of the motors ok seeing as you are spending a bit of cash on it..No Spark sounds like the Stator to me.Check the wiring loom that comes out of the engine down by the sprocket for breaks and follow it up to the connections under the seat,,and never assume the wires are in their correct plug in points.Check the colors to manual specs.Plenty of heat and junk flying about down there and wires do tend to weaken with age,,Small break can cause the problem.Those wires run from the Stator to your loom and run lights/spark..The entry exit point to the engine would be my main area for inspection..You really need the cover with Stator off the bike to throughly inspect both sides of that point around the rubber grommet..My 600 had a problem like this just recently.I did a half pie repair on it but the bikes away getting some major engine work done on it so I'm getting that sorted at the same time..Don't see many if any threads about Pulse generators going but see a lot about Stators..If it's an 83 and has never had the Stator rewound or replaced then it's time it was done..You can test them via an ohm meter,,the manual will have the values for good and bad.I have no manuals at present so can't give you them..Easier to take it to an electrical shop and get them to do it if you are unsure how it's done.Take the cover off with the Stator in it and drop it off for testing..Course they will need to know values also.You will need to make or purchase a new gasket for that cover when you put it back on.

Hey bob, I think you should throw up some pics of your brother's failure-I mean your new find so everyone else can see how cherry that thing is!

when you kick it hard the headlight should come on really dim. you should be able to see it attempt to light. i had no spark on my '87 and it ended up being the pick up coil