Has anyone taken their WRX off road?

I'm researching bikes and considering the WRX but I want to take it into the dirt now and again. From other posts it looks like I could ride it on fire roads and the like, but what about easy single track with whoops? Has anyone tried it? Am I crazy to consider taking supermoto tires into the mountains? I'm a beginner rider wanting a fun/comfortable commute and also wanting to occasionally go with my friends off road for a few hours a month. I rode a WR250F earlier this summer and had a blast off road but realistically I will ride 95% on the pavement so I hesitate to get the WRR.

Also, what are the real differences between the WRR and the wr250f? Why would you get the WRR instead of the 250F with a couple of changes to make it street legal?

Thanks in advance for you input.

I sold an 08 XT 250 which was a lot of fun in the dirt and single track but was seriously lacking in power. I bought an 08 WRX I am using it to commute it does that very well hwy speeds not a problem. On the dirt though it is all over the place. It is fine on some of the harder dirt rodes around me and even some softer dirt is not real bad but mud and technical and the bike will slide all over, I believe you can find some 50/50 tires for it and a lit of people are interested in a conversion kit which I know a few have had success not sure about the details.

There are two huge reasons in my opinion to go with a WR R/X as opposed to WR F they are a 6 speed transmission and Fuel Injection. I think a lot of others will likely agree.

This bike is great there are a good bit of aftermarket products already and more on the way so if you have any questions to help you decide I will be glad to help.

Thanks for the info. I would guess the slick tire might be tough on technical trails.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? How about the WRR on the road? Comfortable smooth ride? Confident cornering on asphalt?

The WRR does just fine on the road. I can lean it over in the corners and it feels real stable. The stock tires are in my opinion about 95% street and 5% trail. Nice smooth ride on the road. They would be good for fire roads and places with lots of traction, I won't take mine in the mud and sand.

The 6 speed transmission is one reason the R wins out over the F. I have both and a plated F would be winding out too much.

Thanks for the info. I would guess the slick tire might be tough on technical trails.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes. The stock X tires got slippery pretty quickly once I ventured off pavement. They are sticky onroad, though.?

If there were knobbies for the X wheels, it would probably go anywhere the R would go, albeit more slowly in some places, a la TW200:). I would like that.:worthy:

I have the "X" and I too would like to take it off-road eventually. I am waiting for someone to come out with the conversion kit for dirt tires. It looks like Forrest at wheeling is getting out in front of this and it would not surprise me if we see a dirt conversion kit sometime in the near future. Eventually it will happen whether it is from Wheeling or someone else.

Your other option is to slap a set of Avon Distanzia's on it which Avon states are 90/10 90% for the road 10% for off road. There are a few folks on here or at Supermoto junkie who have went with the Avon's and love them.

As for the "X" vs. "R" vs. "F" I would guess as previously stated the F.I. is a major factor along with having a 6 speed transmission. The bike does great on the road for a little 250. Crusies on the highway at 75 no problem with very little vibes for a single thumper. You would also want to consider the maint. intevals. I do not know what the "F's" intervals are but the X/R has very rider friendly maint intervals.

From what you stated as your primary intent I would suggest the "X" because it is set up for the street but the "R" apparently works well on the street also. I went with the "X" because I ride the asphalt fairly aggressive and the "X" fits the bill for that.

Can't go wrong with either...........goodluck

Have you ever ridden a street bike and had it's tires come into contact with a patch of dirt? No traction to-speak-of what-so-ever.

Sounds like you should go with the WRR. Otherwise you'll never enjoy it off-road.. at least... not without spending a buttload of money to be able to convert back-and-forth 'tween "X-Mode" and "R-mode".

And if you get a WRR... you can always pop for a 2nd set of wheels if optimum Hwy performance is crucial to you. But that'll be like a $1000.00 bucks though to get a whole functioning extra set of wheels for easy plug-and-play swap-over.

... but realistically I will ride 95% on the pavement so I hesitate to get the WRR..

At 95/5% I'd go with a WRX, with the Avon Distanzias if you need a decent off-roadable tire. However, since both bikes can do dirt/street reasonably well, it all depends on how hard you think you'd like to push the bike in on a given surface.

Thank you all for the ideas. I rewally don't know how hard I will ride on either surface. I'm Total beginner. I've only ever had 2 bikes. The one I have now is an XR50 with training wheels for the kids. (I actually like riding it myself). and the other was a suzuki 125 Which maxed out at about 45 mph. I thought the wrx or R might be a good starter bike that could do a bit of everything.

Is the only difference between the 2 bikes the wheels/tires?

Thanks

I agree with reppans. If you're 95% street, I'd go with the X.

And +1 on the Distanzias. When I need a new set, that's what I'm going to get, just to open up a little off-road capability.

BTW, isn't the problem with hitting a patch of dirt on the street that the dirt slides across the pavement? I don't see how an R would help in that circumstance.

Jon, Thanks for the pics. They give me a bit of hope for the x's abilities off road. How hard was it to handle the bike on all that rock and gravel?

Thank. I'm new here too.

The x actually did really well, the KLX that was with us has distanzias on it and went everywhere with little problems, in some situations the supermoto tires actually help, the act kinda like a flotation tire staying on top of soft ground instead of digging in like my trackmasters.

On a side note, I hydrolocked my r on that trip, pumped the water out, and it's still going strong. I have seen much worse out of hydrolokced wrf's. Seems like this new motor is built pretty stout. The lean angle sensor threw a code even though the bike never went over, but it was under water for a bit so that could be expected, no problem since though.

I've run around on gravel roads a bit on my X, and had no problems at all. Pretty fun. Definitely not as confidence inspiring than knobbies and a 21" front wheel, but decent nonetheless..... I certainly wouldn't go out on techy singletrack trails after a rain however.

I think a bunch of us are waiting on rear Distanzias to become available again.........

I'm researching bikes and considering the WRX but I want to take it into the dirt now and again. From other posts it looks like I could ride it on fire roads and the like, but what about easy single track with whoops? Has anyone tried it? Am I crazy to consider taking supermoto tires into the mountains? I'm a beginner rider wanting a fun/comfortable commute and also wanting to occasionally go with my friends off road for a few hours a month. I rode a WR250F earlier this summer and had a blast off road but realistically I will ride 95% on the pavement so I hesitate to get the WRR.

Also, what are the real differences between the WRR and the wr250f? Why would you get the WRR instead of the 250F with a couple of changes to make it street legal?

Thanks in advance for you input.

I have a 07 WRF250 that has a baja design kit. The bike sucks on the highway with speeds over 55. It would not be a good choice for a commuter bike. It will tear up some fire roads though. Honestly a KLR 650 would probably suit you better for 95% pavement. Although I have not ridden a X but it can't be but so comfortable. I think the KLR is cheaper too.

I have a 07 WRF250 that has a baja design kit. The bike sucks on the highway with speeds over 55. It would not be a good choice for a commuter bike. It will tear up some fire roads though. Honestly a KLR 650 would probably suit you better for 95% pavement. Although I have not ridden a X but it can't be but so comfortable. I think the KLR is cheaper too.

I took my WRR for a 135 mile drive last weekend. I was able to comfortably corner at 15-30 mph over the suggested limit on the regulatory signs. Here is a picture of the rear tire. I had it on a sandy beach and the white part of the knobs is how far the bike was leaned too. These are the stock trail wings.

shop012.jpg

I am not a road rider, just a commuter.

The KLR is a heavy bike. I had two friends buy new ones this year. One has already sold his, and the other well....... not comfortable taking it off road yet. The WRR is more of an off road bike with street tires. If I put a set of real tires on it I would take it anywhere I take my WRF. The difference between the WRF and the WRR on the road is almost night and day.

I took my WRR for a 135 mile drive last weekend. I was able to comfortably corner at 15-30 mph over the suggested limit on the regulatory signs. Here is a picture of the rear tire. I had it on a sandy beach and the white part of the knobs is how far the bike was leaned too. These are the stock trail wings.

shop012.jpg

I am not a road rider, just a commuter.

The KLR is a heavy bike. I had two friends buy new ones this year. One has already sold his, and the other well....... not comfortable taking it off road yet. The WRR is more of an off road bike with street tires. If I put a set of real tires on it I would take it anywhere I take my WRF. The difference between the WRF and the WRR on the road is almost night and day.

The only reason I sugested the KLR was becasue he said he only road off road 5% and he wanted a comfortable commuter bike. Heavy bikes on road make the ride more enjoyable not to mention the windsheild. But it takes a little more skill to ride the KLR off road becasue of the weight and the sluggesh engine. Jusy my 2cents.