Sign in to follow this  

Buying a used 05' CRF450R (Anything to look out for)?

I'm looking to possibly buy a 2nd owner 05' CRF450R and I would like to know what to watch out for or problems to expect to have..... i.e. Valves?

Anyone have any recomendations?

I bought an 05 back around Dec. that was almost new. So far, i have had no problems at all. I love my 2005. As long as it doesn't show too much wear and runs strong go for it.

I'd try and check the valves if the owner is ok with that. It'll only take you 20 minutes if you know what you're doing.

Other than that, there really isn't anything out of the ordinary that you wouldn't check on any other bike.

a severely worn ignition cover and clutch cover

When I look at bikes, I always look at the clutch and ignition covers. You can tell if a bike has been barely ridden, or ridden a lot my looking at the engine covers...

but check to make sure the paint isn't fresh on the covers too!!

thats not bad, i just bought a 250f for 2,500. it had like 7-10 hours on it

Here she is at about 30 minutes after midnight when I got home. Its a beast. Basically it would make my old YZF426 bend over and take it in the rear.... Thanks for the help guys. I checked the compression on it at the guys house and had no problems starting it. Bearings were tight, Linkage was tight and smooth, forks in great shape, 6 hours on a fresh top end (with receipts). The guy traded me straight across for my 2000 DRZ400s. I think I made out a little better but he bought this bike to ride with his son and never really rode it that much. It has 38 total hours on it! I even got two other sets of plastics. It has a 'Big Gun' exhaust on it which it REALLY LOUD..... not a big fan but its spark arrested so thats a plus. 👍:worthy::busted:

SD530766.jpg

SD530764.jpg

I have a 05 I would sell. I purchased it for trail riding and it is just too much bike.

Here she is at about 30 minutes after midnight when I got home. Its a beast. Basically it would make my old YZF426 bend over and take it in the rear.... Thanks for the help guys. I checked the compression on it at the guys house and had no problems starting it. Bearings were tight, Linkage was tight and smooth, forks in great shape, 6 hours on a fresh top end (with receipts). The guy traded me straight across for my 2000 DRZ400s. I think I made out a little better but he bought this bike to ride with his son and never really rode it that much. It has 38 total hours on it! I even got two other sets of plastics. It has a 'Big Gun' exhaust on it which it REALLY LOUD..... not a big fan but its spark arrested so thats a plus. :D:worthy::ride:

SD530766.jpg

SD530764.jpg

38 hours with 2 sets of plastic. sounds more like 138 hours to me. Anyway I hope it's a good bike for you.

I love my 05. bought it used, had the pros put in new valves, and take better care of it than the last guy. Starts first kick almost every time,.. even when hot!...only exception is when I eat big time dirt and it takes me a little while to figure out where my bike is.....sweeeeeet..:D