Sign in to follow this  

Fender Question

I was kinda getting annoyed by the big floppy duckbill on my 2008 Suzuki DR200SE and was wondering if anybody knew if the front fender off a '08 DRZ400SM would fit. I like the sharp look of that fender and how it doesn't flop around of get crooked under its own weight.

Thanks

I second those comments from mike,

I have seen a much narrower fender from someone but forgot where they got it ---- I think it only comes in black ??????

I was kinda getting annoyed by the big floppy duckbill on my 2008 Suzuki DR200SE and was wondering if anybody knew if the front fender off a '08 DRZ400SM would fit. I like the sharp look of that fender and how it doesn't flop around of get crooked under its own weight.

Thanks

I asked this same question a while ago and someone said that the fenders are not a direct match, he said he owned both a 650 and a 400sm so he ought to know.

Acerbis Supermoto fender. I got mine from ProCycle and really like it. They get the stuff shipped immediately too. Fender available in colors and easy to install. Changes the whole look of the front end.

+1 on the acerbis supermoto fender. Not only does it greatly change the look for the better but it also imrpoves the handling. Jolt the bars at higher speeds with the stock fender and it'll wobble side to side a few times. Will still do it with the acerbis just because the forks themselves are twisting but to a much lesser extent. This also subtlety improves handling at lower speeds on tarmac + because you don't see this massive floppy tongue hanging out actually makes you feel like your riding a slimmer, lighter, more aggressive bike

In the wet you'll get droplets flicking up and hitting about halfway up the headlight cowl but won't get you wet. Also if you stand up you can actually see the front wheel so probly not the best choice if your offroading a lot

I got to take a good look at a 400SM today and came to a few conclusions. On my bike in between the fork tubes under the tree and fender mount (including the plastic covers) it is only 5 inches wide. The 400SM fender looks small enough up top but it seems as though its too long and would hit the frame. Any other ideas for fenders?

Any other ideas for fenders?

I'm using an 02 RM 250 fender by UFO on my 92 DR350. Had to search Dennis Kirk quite a bit to find white.

👍

Looks much better IMO.

I'm using an 02 RM 250 fender by UFO on my 92 DR350. Had to search Dennis Kirk quite a bit to find white.

👍

Looks much better IMO.

I'm looking pretty seriously at an Acerbis supermoto fender or the Acerbis RM250 fender. Will that 250 fender rub the frame on my 200?

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680712

The Acerbis supermoto fender is kind of patterned after a KTM fender (not exactly, and the KTM SM fender is different, but basically similar shape and styling). No accident as Acerbis made the original fenders for KTM.

I put a full-size KTM MX fender on my DR and wrote up the simple install. Takes a little bit of grinding on the plastic, super easy, and a few washers. Looks like the Acerbis fender, but a little simpler (fewer plastic ridges) and longer and wider in front. Looks good, less floppy.

Bonus: super cheap, around $30 in parts including shipping the fender.

11.jpg

I use the UFO supermoto fender design 1. I think it look great. I bought it from Motostrano.com for about $30 plus shipping. [http://www.motostrano.com/ufounsufrfe.html

Is that UFO design 1 or design 2? I see that there are two styles offered.

I have been holding out and contemplating which fender to purchase.

Motostrano offers several manufacturers. Acerbis seems to be the most popular.

My friend told me his Acerbis had a light raised grid pattern on their Universal Supermoto fender which made the drilling more accurate.

It's a design 1. I just made a template of the hole pattern and transferred it to the fender for drilling. Only thing you have to watch out for is to make sure you place your holes so that you have enough clearance between the rear of the fender and the oil cooler screen. It is pretty close. Be careful.👍

Hi,

Picked this idea up off one of these forums.

Use a dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel, and trim off the wide fender lip back about a foot. Then use a piece of fine sandpaper to clean it up, looks good, much narrowerr.

Cost $0.00

Sorry, if I had picture posting rights I would show you.

Jim R

Reno, Nv

Here's a picture of Jim's trimmed fender:

fender.jpg

Here's a picture of Jim's trimmed fender

gotta say it looks a little bit gumby. The stock fender is excellent offroad it does its job but the plastic itself is too flimsy so its not ideal onroad. The best option is just to fork out a few bucks for a fender, mine was quite expensive cause I ordered it and a braided brake line from the US for $160 landed. If you live in the US just get an aftermarket one, and the braided steel brake line thats good too 👍