Sign in to follow this  

Maybe I should've gotten the more "stealthy black" DR-Z?

For the 2nd time in 2 1/2 weeks that I've had the Popo's come up behind to run my plate. Good thing I have nothing to hide!👍:busted:

2 1/2 weeks ago, I was on the freeway doing about 70 mph & a Police car was merging up ahead on the right. I was still cruising at 70 mph when "they" finally got on the freeway on the right lane next to me. I know they heard a louder dirtbike next to them, but couldn't see me all that well since I was just slightly behind them in their blindspot. Once they spotted me, they proceeded to slow down, just slower than I was going to where I could see them in my peripheral vision any longer. I knew exactly what they were doing because when they had finished, they had sped off past me.

And this morning, after finishing my 18 rounds of Par 3 golf w/ a couple of friends, I was followed by another Police ociffer.

After leaving the golf course this morning. I was turning right onto a more busy street. As I turned right, the officer was coming from the opposite direction going slow. He stared at me as I turned right. I had to turn left at the very next intersection was 1 long block away. As I was waiting for a left turn signal, I looked in my rear view mirror to see him right behind me. Once the light turned green, I turned left and didn't see him behind me, which means he must've just turned right back around where he was heading originally, before he saw my "Champion Yellow" DR-Z.:worthy:

drz11june08.jpg

drz13june08.jpg

think of it as a "nice bike" gesture. they probably have never really seen to many sm's so they were trying to come up with a reason to get closer!!! nice bike anyways, wanna rid your bike of that sweet hindle slip on????????

Yep, you definitely need to ditch the bike. Send her to me, and go get something stealthier. 👍

The stubby turn signals and mirrors probably made them question if it really is a street legal bike. Can you make the front signals be running lights? (Switch to a two-filament bulb?) Are the rears running lights?

I haven't been pulled over on a bike in over 40 years. Here in the canyon, the main road is a State Highway and is patrolled by the CHP. I always get waves from the cops...

...maybe it's the crate. 👍

Greg

I bet you it has a lot more to do with your pipe than the color.

That probably gets their attention, so it's probably an excuse for them to run my plate to see if it's street legal, or if I have any outstanding warrants.

There's an over abundance of super loud Harleys around here, and I don't see any reason why they'd run my plate so often.

I'm wondering if it wasn't so "dirtbike(yellow)" color like the "black" one, would they even bother to run the plate?👍

dont worry i think the pigs are just jealous of your cool bike man. besides i think we have gone over this before-yellow is faster than black-!!!!!!!!!! man i couldnt even imagine trying to keep a black bike clean in southern cali

I guess my original purpose for buying the "yellow" instead of "black" is working so far, which is more visibility on the road.👍 I just wished it less from from the authorities & more from the cagers.:worthy:

at least you dont have knobbies, and ride around with it covered in mud. I've been pulled over before like this. Cop came up and said, your plate is covered in mud, I cant read it. I wiped it off and he went on his way(I didnt even know it was covered)

other than that, I get a lot of double takes of cops looking back to see if its plated.

I've been pulled over several times (and mine is Black!)...cops are always cool..the Santa Monica cop just said he pulled me over because 90% of the guys he sees and pulls over riding on a dirt bike (dual sport) never have a license of any kind...I did, so we talked bikes for 5 minutes or so, and I was on my way...

I have an hindle slip on, my drz is black and cops don't care about me. The only time they ran after me was when I got on the road after offroading in a muddy trail. The cop tought that I was a dirtbike on the streets.

at least you dont have knobbies, and ride around with it covered in mud. I've been pulled over before like this. Cop came up and said, your plate is covered in mud, I cant read it. I wiped it off and he went on his way(I didnt even know it was covered)

other than that, I get a lot of double takes of cops looking back to see if its plated.

I came popping out of the woods the other day COVERED in mud and that had a cop spin around and run up behind me.....he caught up to me at a red light where I was busy leaned back, cleaning off the plate. He may not have been amused at the THUNK THUNK THUNK of mud flying everywhere tho!

I get way more grief on my R1 then the DRZ tho.

I got pulled over on a black one today. Not a bad experience. Good cop bad cop. As one broke my chops the other asked my twenty questions about my DRZ.

Oh yea no tickets.

Maybe they just ran the plate to see if its stolen. Not that someone would ride with a bike with a hot plate.

As for the other comment about not seeing motards? They see them all the time out here. Not an uncommon occurence.

i wouldnt say there uncommon out here but it can take a couple of days till you see one on the road, and then once you spot one you see five or six

Plenty of idiots have run with hot plates. It's good that those idiots get arrested.

I'll help out your cause though. I'll trade you straight up my stocker for your Hindle. That should aid you in your stealth ability.

You know, I get the same treatment. Something to do with San Diego PD. Luckily they don't pull us over. They just try and get a better look. It's hard to accelerate from a stop with a open Yosh TRC, 3x3 and FCR and still be quiet. You darn near have to short shift so bad the motor wants to puke. Although the day we were riding together you said it didn't seem too loud. I have never heard my bike from the back. Maybe we can trade bikes for a few miles?

i got the once over the other day.first i thought i was home free after he gives me my dl back then he wants to see my insurance:rolleyes: .while im digging them out he's looking at my back end and im thinking oh no the yosh pipe says off road.then i give him the papers and he looks at my vin number and then gives me back the papers.he tells me my signals are ilegal and that a lot of motards out there are converted ktms or crf's/yzf's.i guess he never looked at the can. i never got a ticket for the signals because i said you have to see the signals from 30 degrees out from the center of the tail light and he said thats correct but they do have to be a certain distance apart he didn't know the spec so he sent me on my way:banana: