Sign in to follow this  

Oil in the water or water in the oil

Hi there TT members, I have a Suzi DRZ 400 E yr 2000. I did the usual pre-start and found the level in the radiator was low. I put about 400 ml in and the level slowly dropped. Did this again and noticed a slight film of oil on the water inside the radiator. I warmed up the ol'girl so I could check the oil and discovered an iced coffee appearance in the colour of the oil. NOT GOOD. What I'd like to know (I dont have a workshop manual yet) is there any possible way the oil could leak into the radiator or water to the engine other than a cracked head, blown head gasket or coroded water jacket.

Hope some good news can miraculously come from anyone ?

regards

Sid

In a word no, sounds like a gasket to me. At lest with the drz its nice and easy.....ish. Sorry man.

if there is oil in the water, then there is also water in the oil. could be water pump seal, head gasket, i would bet its water pump seal, change the oil of course

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236694&highlight=water+pump

you bot a older bike so you will be needing to replace some worn out parts

water pump will need replaced and do the RTV fix that is in the link I posted

also if you still have the ACCT you will be needing to replace it with the MCCT and maybe a new timing chain

look up the locktite fix too

every thing yuou need wil be found in the FAQ section

Iv heard if there is oil in the water it is most likly the water pump seal. But if there is water in the oil, and oil in the water than probibly the head gasket.

As you guys can see I'm a NEWBIE to this site. I'm really stoked at such quallity responses. I'll be keeping you all in touch with my findings. I hope I can forward advice to others in the future.

cheers Fella's

Sid

Had the same problem on my 2000 DRZ400K. It turned out to be the welch plugs in the head. One had a pinhole corroded through it. water would come through and down the camchain tunnel into the sump. I tried replacing gaskets & water pump seals before I discovered the true fault. Cost $1.60 NZ each for two new plugs from an automotive store in the end....

Cheers Chris

Have a look at the bottom of the water pump for traces of leaking...There's a weep hole there....If the water pump is the culprit, it should be leaking there. It's hard to see, but it's there. I had the same symptoms, but in my case it was a faulty head gasket.