Sign in to follow this  

Steering dampers, got one? How's it work?

In an effort to make my DR650 more slab friendly, I'm looking into steering dampers. I would like to hear from anyone who has one on their DR650.

Which one do you have? Are there others available besides the Ohlins/Scotts?

How was the mounting process?

How much did it help?

It's an 02 DR650 with D606s, Eibach springs, stock dampers still on both ends. I weigh about 270lbs. I've balanced the tires, tried different pressures and played a bit with preload to balance it front-to-back but I can't get rid of it's tendency to weave and wobble over about 65 or 70 on the freeway. I will upgrade the shock at some point but if a steering damper helps more on the freeway then it may come first.

I'm not sure it will help your situation. With D606 tires and at 270lbs, it's going to move around at speed. If you want more street stability consider a more "street tire".

I have the W.E.R. damper on my DR650. It is a big improvement everywhere. The problem I had before adding the damper was headshake and wobble on gravel. If the gravel was loose or deep at all I couldn't get over 60 mph without feeling like it would go into a tankslapper and pitch me off. The WER mounts ahead of the bottom triple clamp so it has no affect on your handlebar position. You do have to trim the bottom of the headlight shell for clearance.

I'm not sure it will help your situation. With D606 tires and at 270lbs, it's going to move around at speed. If you want more street stability consider a more "street tire".

I'm really trying to avoid more street biased tires. I do realize that the whole concept of dual sport means compromise between street manners and trail capability. I want to preserve as much trail capability as possible, I'd really just like the trips to and from the trails in freeway traffic to be a bit less harrowing.

I have the W.E.R. damper on my DR650. It is a big improvement everywhere. The problem I had before adding the damper was headshake and wobble on gravel. If the gravel was loose or deep at all I couldn't get over 60 mph without feeling like it would go into a tankslapper and pitch me off. The WER mounts ahead of the bottom triple clamp so it has no affect on your handlebar position. You do have to trim the bottom of the headlight shell for clearance.

Does the WER damper require any welding/fab work to mount or is it a bolt on. I don't care about trimming some plastic, but I'm not eager to weld or drill the frame around the head tube.

Does the WER damper require any welding/fab work to mount or is it a bolt on. I don't care about trimming some plastic, but I'm not eager to weld or drill the frame around the head tube.

There is a small tab that has to be welded to the frame for the link rod to connect to. Maybe a total of 1 inch of weld bead.

I noticed that there's also a Scott's application for the 650, also requiring a tab welded on.

What's the difference between the Scott's and the WER?

(I'm also looking for a damper, and was hoping to not have to weld the frame as well)

The biggest difference is the WER mounts above the front fender instead of on top of the handlebars. The WER also sells for less money.

Like Jeff said the weld on posts are really easy to install, and also quite a bit cheaper ($40 or so vs. $90)

However the Scotts clamp on post for the DRZ-400 will fit the DR650, you just have to grind down the steering lock bracket slightly on top. I have one waiting to be installed along with a complete underbar setup (for my KTM forks). It was a lot of coin though, around $470 for everything. You can piece it together cheaper if you buy the damper on Ebay ($220 without arm) but I couldn't do this because I live in Europe,

Here is a picture from MrMike who used the DRZ post:

274283568_Wbdi9-L.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about. I was really trying to not weld the frame.

Any links to a write up of this????

Anyone?

This site is kind of a PITA for trying to search for specific topics, and I can't find a write up of this. I would LOVE to not weld the tab on!

Anyone?

This site is kind of a PITA for trying to search for specific topics, and I can't find a write up of this. I would LOVE to not weld the tab on!

Why wont you go for the weld.Its fast light and cheap all that other stuff looks like way more work.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/elevatorjunky/DR%20mods/DR650ignitionmod002.jpg

I do like the drz option assuming you just clamp it on.My picture shows the locking crap removed"I have lightened my bike alot".It was easy I used a 4 inch grinder and a steady hand.That took more effort then welding it.

This was the best mod made to my bike.It kills on the road,I often ride with 10lbs in the front tire and I only use d606's.I cruiz 80 no problem I know the stabilizer helps make this possible.Off road You will think you got a new bike.It is that great.Improves performance in all terrain

If you were closer I would weld it for you maybe ask around.

I got the weld on kit. It was very easy to weld with my little lincoln wire welder. I just scraped away the little bit of paint where the post went and welded it up. I used 3 1/2 inch Rox risers to lift the bars enough to give the stabilizer room to mount on the universal mount that came with the kit. I don't know if the under bar mount used on other bikes will work or not without raising the handle bars. Actually I like the bars raised where they are.

Here's some pics.

004-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg