suspension setup

Hi all,

I reciently bought a 2003 drz 400, and am hoping someone will have some advice on which rear shock spring would be best for me. I am about 225 and the stock spring is definately not enough for my size, what do you advise, and do I need to adjust the front shocks?

Thanks

I reciently bought a 2003 drz 400, and am hoping someone will have some advice on which rear shock spring would be best for me. I am about 225 and the stock spring is definately not enough for my size, what do you advise, and do I need to adjust the front shocks?

Read the FAQ. Search this forum and the "suspension" forum. All this has been covered before, in detail.

• 3 weeks later...
so I got my race teck rear shock and installed it last night, what a huge difference, I am only unsure of how much pre load to do, I started at 1/2" pre load, at 230 lbs any one have any advice how much I should have.

The pre-load should be adjusted to set your sag. Search on "static sag" and/or "race sag".

yes, make sure to adjust the race sag correctly, if you have the right spring the static sag should be in the correct range once the static sag is set. most people go with a race sag of 90-100mm, but i would do some searching and see what you think is best for your riding style.

I finally got my drz out on the trails for the first time, and for that matter my first time on the trails. I have done lots of mountain biking but this is so much more fun, a buddy came with me to teach me the ropes. The bike handled amazing I've got the sag at about 90 mm and that seems to be perfect, I have to adjust the shock dampening but otherwise the spring is perfect.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

bill.

p.s. I'm now addicted to dirtbiking

I finally got my drz out on the trails for the first time, and for that matter my first time on the trails. I have done lots of mountain biking but this is so much more fun, a buddy came with me to teach me the ropes. The bike handled amazing I've got the sag at about 90 mm and that seems to be perfect, I have to adjust the shock dampening but otherwise the spring is perfect.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

bill.

p.s. I'm now addicted to dirtbiking

right on bro! now go twist your grip and throw some dirt!!!!