Sign in to follow this  

The old Nigerian ebay scam is still around...

Now that I have my DR650, I'm trying to sell my old XL250 on ebay. Guess what? It sold!!! As my grandmother would have said, "ya, shore, you betcha". To somebody claiming to be in the UK. I had it up for PayPal payment only, but this jerk thought he could get by with the old gag of sending me too much money in a check, then me sending the bike and excess $$ to him.

My response isn't posted here because many of the words would violate the policy of this board.

BTW, it's relisted, this time with more restrictions. We'll see. Now, I have to do battle with ebay to get my original listing fee and seller fees refunded. Oh, well, I'm usually up to a good fight...

Here's the guy's email to me from this morning:

---------------

Hi Thanks for your responds am very happy to get this Bike from you.

About the payment of the bike that is know problem i would be contacting my bank to issue a Cashier Check for the amount of the merchandise plus additional amount

( this the total amount i would sending to you) which you will help me to handover it to the company that would do the shipment for me.

I would be responsible for the shipment or pickup

I hope it would be know problem to do this

* I hope i can trust you with my money

* I hope you be able to deal with handover the fund to them without any problem

If that is fine with you mail me so that i can pass our information to the Bank and the Shipping Company .

What i need from you now is your Full Name,Address and Telephone ??????

Thanks

-----------------------

If you use ebay to sell, this makes a pretty good case for accepting PayPal as the only form of payment, even if you do have to eat some fees.

• Like 2

Yeah, I thought about having a little fun and stringing him along for a while, but right now my wife is closing down her business, and I'm in the middle of helping my son buy a house. I'm just too busy to fool with this clown, but I've read some things in the past which give me ideas on how to make these people lay out a little dough of their own. Fun as it would be, I just can't do it right now.

Y'all be careful out there.

i listed my 450 suzuki on craigslist a few days ago.the first response that i got looked almost the as yours.the guy wanted to send a check and have me use the extra to pay the shipper.any money leftover he wanted me to send to him.i told him to go ahead and send the check,that i would be glad to take it to the bank and the police.didn`t get anymore responses after that.

You'd think they could at least get the language straight as to eliminate a red flag- I love the spelling, grammer, etc.

Jerks.

A few years back, I read a loooonnnng blog from a guy who actually had some fun with this. He let the "buyer" send a check and when it arrived, he took it to the DA. But he told the buyer that it got lost and he never got it. After a couple weeks, the buyer was convinced the check was lost so he went and made a new one and had it sent by some sort of express service to the seller. Of course, the second check also went to the DA. He managed to play that buyer along for 6 or 7 weeks, IIRC, and made the buyer go to quite some expense in mailing all the documents several times. It was a great read; if I can find the link to it, I'll post it.

I found out on Tuesday night, when I was discussing all this with ebay, that you can set your preferences up so that bidders from outside the area where you want to sell (in my case, only the US) cannot even bid on an auction. But since ebay made it so sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers, there's not much recourse. And my "buyer" had a feedback rating of ZERO. These guys just sign up for a new ebay account for each job they try to pull. I'd think ebay would have an interest in limiting this sort of stuff, but maybe not.

I haven't laughed that hard since.... well, never.

I coughed up Diet Coke all over my keyboard.

I've used Ebay quite a bit for little things but I have not ran into this situation? It sounds like many have heard and run into it. What are they actually trying to pull? How does this scam work? Fake checks, ID theft, All the above? Maybe its late and I'm just not connecting the dots?👍

Thanks for cluing me in!

JT

These scams revolve around forgeries of bank checks. There are some very good, very convincing fake checks out there.

Most often, the scammer will want to send a cashier's check or bank check for more than the amount of the auction. They want you to send them cash or a Western Union payment for the extra amount. This is how they get cash from the fake checks.

So, you go to the bank and deposit the check. You get cash back for the check and send it to them via Western Union. You may also ship the auction item for them, most often both to a foreign country.

Here's where it goes bad; It takes a week or more for the bank to find out the check is a forgery. When this happens, you are liable for the check fraud and you owe the bank for the amount of the check.

So, you lose the auction item, the shipping cost, the extra cash you sent them, everything. The bank may even prosecute you for check fraud.

Instead of asking you to ship the item, they will often "arrange for a courier" or shipping company to pick up the item. The courier or shipping company doesn't exist. They really just want the cash you send them via Western Union for the forged check.

These scams revolve around forgeries of bank checks. There are some very good, very convincing fake checks out there.

Most often, the scammer will want to send a cashier's check or bank check for more than the amount of the auction. They want you to send them cash or a Western Union payment for the extra amount. This is how they get cash from the fake checks.

So, you go to the bank and deposit the check. You get cash back for the check and send it to them via Western Union. You may also ship the auction item for them, most often both to a foreign country.

Here's where it goes bad; It takes a week or more for the bank to find out the check is a forgery. When this happens, you are liable for the check fraud and you owe the bank for the amount of the check.

So, you lose the auction item, the shipping cost, the extra cash you sent them, everything. The bank may even prosecute you for check fraud.

Instead of asking you to ship the item, they will often "arrange for a courier" or shipping company to pick up the item. The courier or shipping company doesn't exist. They really just want the cash you send them via Western Union for the forged check.

Sneaky Bastards, I always thought of Cashiers check as being safer than personal...I'd have been fooled! Paypal is a Must for me now!

Now that you tell me, Had a family member hit with a similar method. A person acted as my family member and took a fake check to the bank for $800-$1200 and deposited it to my family members account (again, acting as if it was their own account) except for $200-$300 Cash. This all took place out of town and the account never changed because the checks didn't clear except for some fees for the checks, (I'm not sure but i think was ~$15 each?) and the fees would get overlooked mixed with other normal transactions. But after a few months the unknown fees gave it away. But at $200-$300 a couple of times a month a few months is a chunk of cash.👍

Thanks for the heads up!

JT

Here's one of the good ones. WARNING: This is probably not work safe. CAUTION: Don't read this if you have milk, coffee or anything else you don't want coming out your nose.

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/Ablert_Fred1.html

And here's the home page with links to some of the fun these guys have had:

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

LOL! What a read. 👍

I ran into this last year when I sold my '06 GSX-R750 on cycletrader.com. At first I was excited to sell the bike, but once I read a little closer something didn't smell right. I referenced cycle trader's info/"beware of scams" section, and sure enough a scam they described was the exact situation the "buyer" of my bike was setting up with me. After several e-mails back and forth, I finally told the dude that I'd wait 30 days for his check to clear both my bank and his bank before I released the bike. I never heard back from him after that.

The criminal mind can be so creative. If people spent as much time trying to help one another as they spent creating ways to earn a dishonest buck, the world would be a much better place! (no I'm not a bleeding-heart liberal, I just can't stand a thief or liar!)

Craig

Wow, I just burned an hour over there at Ebolamonkeyman!!! I had one take the bait this week, but he had a Japanese email address!? Said he was an American captain with U.N. peace keeping forces somewhere. I asked for a picture and he sent me a picture of an enlisted National Guard MP!!!

I was selling some gear on Race-Dezert and had the same scammer email me. They wanted my name and address to send me the check so I told them I was "John Smith" , how gereric of a name can you get, and gave them the address of the house accross the street that has been up for sale for awhile now. I keep watching the house just to see if anyone actually shows up but have not seen anyoneThe wife kept asking me why I keep looking at the house and I told her what I did and she just shook her head and said "You aint right" in a joking manner but once she thought about what I did she wanted to see if anyone actually showed up. 👍

ok so im selling my PS3 on craiglist right now. im reading this thread and decided to go check my e-mail and see if i got any replies. and guess what i get this e-mail...👍 its a scam right?

"I am okay with the price of this item and the condition of items and we will like to make an outright purchase of this particular item immediately because we are in need of it and we want to get it as soon as possible, I anticipate that a cashier check or certified check will be sent to you via express mail or ups or Fedex as the mode of payment, concerning the pickup, i will be responsible for that, where the mover will come for the pick up at your location upon your confirmation of receiving the payment and i want you to remove this item from the ad now. So i will send the payment which will include the pick up charges, in which you will make payable to the mover via money gramm immediately after you have receive the payment and you will be compensated with $10 extra for your running around to the money gram outlet to avoid the delay. And I would really love to come for the viewing but due to my work frame that might not be possible... .....and I will like you to provide the following payment information as soon as possible;

full name ...........................................

full home address (physical

City................................................

state................................................

zip code..............................................

tel#..................................................As soon as this is provided i will let you know when payment is mailed out and i will update you on when you will receive the payment and give you instructions on what to do....thanks and i hope we handle this in good faith......

Thanks....."

That's the one. Whatever you do, don't sell to this buyer. Have some fun if you want, but don't sell to him.

Nice of him to offer you a 10-spot for your trouble, don't you think?

Here's one of the good ones. WARNING: This is probably not work safe. CAUTION: Don't read this if you have milk, coffee or anything else you don't want coming out your nose.

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/Ablert_Fred1.html

And here's the home page with links to some of the fun these guys have had:

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

I read through that whole thing...sh!t that was funny man...I almost died laughing here. My wife was wandering what the hell I was doing...2 thumbs up:thumbsup: 👍

:worthy::busted::blah::D:doh:😛🤣 🤣🤣:banghead:🤣