Sign in to follow this  

USFS requests input on trails near Forks

From the United States Forest Service

+++++++++

Date: August, 17, 2008

Dear Interested Party

Re: Potential ATV Routes on the Pacific Ranger District, Forks Area

The Pacific Ranger District is inventorying and evaluating the current and future need for motorized trail

routes in the Forks area. The identified user group is for an all-terrain-vehicle (ATV). Two areas that

have concentrated use are the Sol Duc Valley and the Calawah - Sitkum area.

Forest Service personnel are in the process of inventorying and evaluating existing unauthorized ATV

use. When that is completed, an environmental analysis will look at the feasibility to analyze some of the

inventoried routes to determine if some can be converted to authorized use, which routes will require to

be decomissioned, and if some minor trail links are feasible to mitigate or enhance eXisting routes.

This analysis is required by the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and it is expected that this

project will fall within a category of actions listed in the Forest Service Handbook (FSH) that requires

documentation in an Environmental Assessment (EA) or Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) if

extraordinary circumstances are identified that would preclude use of a categorical exclusion.

Shortly after I arrived on the Pacific District in 2007, unauthorized ATV use was identified as one of the

greatest land management issues the District was facing. The District has been in the process of

inventorying the use patterns and coming up with a strategy to address these issues for the past two

years. We have found extensive unauthorized use in the Sol Duc, Sitkum and North Fork Calawah

drainages. Much of the use is occurring on fire trails and old road beds that have been closed.

YOUR INVOLVEMENT

The purpose of this letter is to invite your participation in the NEPA analysis. Comments of support or in

opposition are welcome, particularly if you have information the Forest Service may not be aware of, or if

you have issues regarding potential effects of this proposed action. Please send comments or issues in

writing to the project leader, Molly Erickson, Pacific Ranger District, 437 Tillicum Lane, Forks, WA 98331,

or e-mail: mjerickson@fs.fed.us. by September 25,2008.

All comments received will become part of the public record and copies of comments, including names

and home addresses of respondents, may be released for public inspection. Requests by individual

respondents to have their home addresses withheld from the public record will be honored to the extent

allowable by law. Such requests to withhold names and/or addresses must be stated prominently at the

beginning of the comments. Anonymous comments will not be considered. Submissions from

organizations or businesses, and from individuals identifying themselves as representatives or officials of

organizations or businesses, will be made available for public inspection in their entirety.

Sincerely,

LANCE J. KOCH

District Ranger

Interesting but I don't have anything to say or comment on... I know, odd.

Hopefully the quad riders jump on board and get something done. This refers to quad trails only right?

This refers to quad trails only right?

Nope - from what I understand it applies to 2, 3 and 4 wheeled ATV's

Shortly after I arrived on the Pacific District in 2007, unauthorized ATV use was identified as one of the

greatest land management issues the District was facing. The District has been in the process of

inventorying the use patterns and coming up with a strategy to address these issues for the past two

years. We have found extensive unauthorized use in the Sol Duc, Sitkum and North Fork Calawah

drainages. Much of the use is occurring on fire trails and old road beds that have been closed.

this almost sounds like some FS official that has too much time on their hands if some saps riding old logging roads and fire trails is their most significant issue.

anyway, I'll post my comments. the area is in need of legitimate riding.