Sign in to follow this  

WR250R hard starting when engine is warm/hot

Hi - Just got a new WR250R a couple of weeks ago after reading many posts on this forum about how great of a bike it is. And it sure is, I find it a blast to ride and really like it so far.

I have noticed only one issue that I do not like and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. After riding the bike for a while so the engine has been up to temp for some time, if I shut down the bike and go to restart it very shortly after, when I press the start button the engine will crank over and fire but occasionally die as soon as it fires. Subsequent starting attempts yield the same result once this occurs, and I finally noticed that If I use the throttle as it fires to give a little more gas I can keep the engine running. This is very intermittent though, most often stopping and restarting the engine hot or cold it fires and keeps running just fine. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas? Thanks!

I'm used to my fuel injected FJR and Warrior starting without failure all the time... But I would not know lately as they are sitting in the garage neglected due to the WRR being so much darn fun! 👍

Even though I have always been told that you should never or never have to give a fuel injected motor throttle when starting, I sometimes have to give my wrr some throttle when starting hot. I thinks it's just because it is so lean. I bet a PCIII would straighten that right out. I am sure someone with a PowerCommander will chime in.

For reference my FI street bike never needs any throttle when starting hot or cold.

Yes the power programmer and others will help, also the amount of miles may be considered, if the motor has not broken in yet it tends to spin a little harder and tolerances tighten up when the motor is good and hot.....

any mods done may help or hurt depending on what they are and in what order you did them.....

Also it may come into effect of the coolant temp sensor possibly being a little out of the normal "starting condition" range in the fuel map, not sure they wrote in the "if then's" for hot coolant temp no rpms = ????

Any way it gets better

Thanks for the input guys. Ya, I should have mentioned that I have not done any mods yet. I also wondered if this may change as the bike gets broken in more, I only have about 450 miles on it. Also, as you suggest I'm sure tweaking the FI mapping could help. I thought if there were a lot of people experiencing the same thing with the WRR then maybe Yamaha needs to tweak their ECO code. Being a first year bike I would not doubt it... I ended up with a new ECU for my 07 FJR due to a high altitude issue - Yamaha stepped right up and issued a tech bulletin and replacement ECU's for any customer wanting it. Seems they listen to things like this.

I had stalled the WRR on a trail in the woods and that is when this restarting issue was a real drag... the bike was not in the most stable position at the time.

Even though I have always been told that you should never or never have to give a fuel injected motor throttle when starting, I sometimes have to give my wrr some throttle when starting hot. I thinks it's just because it is so lean. I bet a PCIII would straighten that right out. I am sure someone with a PowerCommander will chime in.

For reference my FI street bike never needs any throttle when starting hot or cold.

Yea, it gets hot riding the trails around here (105 yesterday) and I have to give it a little throttle when the engine is warm in order to start...I am still stock except for K&N air filter

I've got the same problem on my new 2008 WR250R. On hot starts I have to give it a little throttle to get it going. I'm only at 230 miles so far, and most of them are street. I don't have any mods either.

Mine is doing the same thing as well. It also only has 110km on it but I found that if I hold on to the start button for just a fraction of a second longer after it fires (not sure if that good or not?) that it will stay running and not die.