Sign in to follow this  

greasy front rotor

i just got a used rm250 a couple days ago. when i rode it the front brake seemed really weak and thought it just needed to be adjusted or need new pads. when i got it home i looked it over and the front brake rotor was coated in a thin layer of black grease. i took the whole front brake apart to see where it was coming from, but there was no visible source of the grease. i cleaned the pads and rotor. I checked to see if any brake fluid was leaking and none was. i just went riding today and its doin the same fricken thing! could any of yall help me out, its drivin me crazy.

it just got new front wheel bearings. when i took the front brake apart i cleaned every thing. i couldn't find any grease within the caliper. when i rode after i cleaned the brake it seemed better than the first time i rode it, but it still wasn't 100%

Just a guess......but maybe old oil from a leaking fork seal???????

Spray brake cleaner on the rotor and pads. And maybe the previous owner was stupid and thought grease kept his brakes from wearing out.

I would check the fork seals like 961 stated. Is it a probable that the fork seal has been blown for awhile and the person that you bought the bike from kind of hid that info from you by cleaning it up before you bought it?

Foreign substances can often be identified by smell if you can't readily locate the source. Does it smell like grease, oil, brake fluid, ?

its not a blown fork seal, i've probably rode it for about 2 hours since i've had it and no signs of any leaks there. i haven't really noticed any obvious smells. i'm thinkin the previous owner was just a tard and greased the front rotor, because i'm seriously stumped here. i'm gonna go get some brake cleaner today and straighten it out.

its not a blown fork seal, i've probably rode it for about 2 hours since i've had it and no signs of any leaks there. i haven't really noticed any obvious smells. i'm thinkin the previous owner was just a tard and greased the front rotor, because i'm seriously stumped here. i'm gonna go get some brake cleaner today and straighten it out.

let us know!

i'm thinkin the previous owner was just a tard and greased the front rotor, because i'm seriously stumped here. i'm gonna go get some brake cleaner today and straighten it out.

If that's the case I'd pull the caliper and clean it and the pads. If the pads are too gummed up you may need new ones.

I have heard of people spraying the whole bike down with silicone to shine it up for resale.......They also spray the rotors to help keep them from rusting. Silicone is odorless after applied.

If that's the case I'd pull the caliper and clean it and the pads. If the pads are too gummed up you may need new ones.

i've cleaned the pads and rotor twice, the pads are fine.