Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R street legal

hi

im new around here and am absolutely hooked on supermoto. im from australia and am looking at getting my first road legal 250cc soon. im not prepared to pay $8k for a used crf250x so im wondering how hard is it to convert a 250r for the road, cause i can get a good condition used one for $4k?

is there elctrical system enabled for use with headlights, indicators and taillights.

wheres the best place to get handlebar switch pods?

cheers for your help guys

is your bike electirc start? i wouldnt think it wouldnt be that hard to convert. here in california its damn near impossible to convert a dirt bike but i dont no about over there.im sure it would be able to handle a head lamp and tail lights. i dont think blinkers draw to much so that would be easy. for cheap good parts and maybe good shipping i would try out www.cyclegear.com they have most of everything you would want or need to build your bike

I would say to run signals, brake light, and headlight you would need atleast a stator, and maby a flywheel. $150 each. And then a baja designs kit would cost ya $500.

Screw the Baja Designs kits, you can buy lights separately and wire them up with stuff from the hardware store. You'll save a ton of money. If you were able to pass 6th grade science you should have no problem wiring the lights.

Screw the Baja Designs kits, you can buy lights separately and wire them up with stuff from the hardware store. You'll save a ton of money. If you were able to pass 6th grade science you should have no problem wiring the lights.

To be truely honest I did wire my own lights on my wr450 . and it was not much cheaper then a new baja kit . But I did go all led's . On my crf I found a open box special baja designs kit on e-bay for a 150 bucks shipped. So my crf with the baja kit was much cheaper.

34 bucks X 2 turn signals

10 bucks horn

68 turn signal switch

20 x 2 brake light switch

40 amp relay 24 bucks

20 strink tubing

45 plate holder

15 leds for plate light

To be truely honest I did wire my own lights on my wr450 . and it was not much cheaper then a new baja kit . But I did go all led's . On my crf I found a open box special baja designs kit on e-bay for a 150 bucks shipped. So my crf with the baja kit was much cheaper.

34 bucks X 2 turn signals

10 bucks horn

68 turn signal switch

20 x 2 brake light switch

40 amp relay 24 bucks

20 strink tubing

45 plate holder

15 leds for plate light

I totally see where you are coming from, but I also don't have as much stuff on my bike either.

Colorado doesn't require turn signals.

I don't have a horn(even though I am supposed to)

$65 for two 4" Hella lights

$35 for a DRC Edge 2 Taillight

$3 for a 2-way toggle switch

$12 for a banjo bolt with a sensor for the brake light

$15 for a voltage regulator

A total of 130 bucks, and my lights are much brighter than the ones you get with the Baja Designs kits.

I totally see where you are coming from, but I also don't have as much stuff on my bike either.

Colorado doesn't require turn signals.

I don't have a horn(even though I am supposed to)

$65 for two 4" Hella lights

$35 for a DRC Edge 2 Taillight

$3 for a 2-way toggle switch

$12 for a banjo bolt with a sensor for the brake light

$15 for a voltage regulator

A total of 130 bucks, and my lights are much brighter than the ones you get with the Baja Designs kits.

If you don't have the same amount of components as the Baja Designs kit you can't compare it pricewise.

If you don't have the same amount of components as the Baja Designs kit you can't compare it pricewise.

Ok, so I am missing turn signals and a horn. Thats what, another 70 or 80 bucks? Thats right up around $200 or a bit more. Still way cheaper than what the kits list for, around $450 or so.

Ok, so I am missing turn signals and a horn. Thats what, another 70 or 80 bucks? Thats right up around $200 or a bit more. Still way cheaper than what the kits list for, around $450 or so.

Well sort of . the led flasher was 23 bucks . the turn signal switch was allmost 70 unlike just a headlight switch costing like 35 . and all the extra wiring . I'd says it's almost a 150 bucks differance. oh. and the turn signal brackets .

what for headlight are you running?

Two 4" Hella 2500's, both with 55 watt bulbs. It's so much brighter than my Acerbis light I had, and a few others I tried. 65 bucks with shipping.

35 bucks for a headlight switch!? You can pick up a 2 or 3 way toggle switch for 5 bucks at the hardware store.

Oh well, I'm a cheap bastard:busted:

Two 4" Hella 2500's, both with 55 watt bulbs. It's so much brighter than my Acerbis light I had, and a few others I tried. 65 bucks with shipping.

35 bucks for a headlight switch!? You can pick up a 2 or 3 way toggle switch for 5 bucks at the hardware store.

Oh well, I'm a cheap bastard:busted:

So how do you have those mounted ? got pics ?

who did your 500 mod ? How hard is a kawi to do . I'm in the process of chopping up a brand new crf to make me a 500 out of .

lights look good , what stator do you have?

I'm thinking fo just getting some of those trail tech bar mount hid lights to get some extra light.

I basically did everything myself. It's the only hybrid bike I have made, but from what I hear, its easiest to put the KX500 motor in a '99-'02 KX250. At least with the KX. I really don't know much about the CR500 conversions.

Its a Moose or Electrix stator, but I really cant remember.

I know to do my 500 I requires cutting off the lower frame and re doing all the mounts . along with reshaping the bottom of the fuel tank.

I recently completed the conversion of my '05 CRF250R. In order to run lights, you will need a lighting coil added to your stator. I went the easy route and purchased the Trail Tech electronics kit, which included the complete stator assembly, wiring harness, battery and regulator/rectifier. I also purchased their flywheel so my system could output a full 90W's, but you really don't need their flywheel just to run lights.

For the DS kit, I just made my own. I purchased a used CRF250X headlight, and then purchased a new CRF250X rear fender with a DRC LED stock replacement light assembly. It gives you a brake light connection. I also added a DRC Edge 2 rear under fender tail light (primarily for the license plate mount and plate light). I also installed LED turn signals, a SICASS Racing key switch, a horn, folding mirror, universal handlebar switch, 14-48 gearing, hydraulic brake light switches, Trail Tech Vapor computer and DOT tires.

Just need to get it inspected and plated now.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/VetMXR/CRFComplete.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/VetMXR/crf_3.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/VetMXR/CRF_2.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/VetMXR/CRF_1.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/VetMXR/CRF-RBrakeSwitch.jpg

• Like 1