Sign in to follow this  

where to find a used trials bike in PA

I'm interested in getting a trials bike but I can't seem to find any for sale around me. I've been searching ebay for a while now, there are only like 2 trials bikes on ebay. Is there a site that has a lot of listings of bikes for sale. There are some dealers around me but being 15 years old and having 2 dirt bikes a quad and a truck doesn't make me a really rich person especially now that school just started so I can't work. So I'm probably looking for something in the $500-$1000 range. There isn't two many things I can't do to the average engine so it isn't a problem if it needs work :-)

Thanks in advance,

Austin

Hi Austin,

I suggest you keep an eye on your local Craigs List for a good used bike deal. Usually better deals pop up at the end of the season/start of winter when people want to lose some summer toys for a new winter one.

Where are you at in Pa?

We have 3 events in September, you never know what might show up at an event.

I have a friend with a modified TY 350 Yamaha that is in increadable condition. He was talking about selling it, think he might be within your range. PM me with your email if interested, I might have some pics and can give you his contact info. Located in Carlisle (20 mile west of Harrisburg).

Hope that helps.

As far as putting a basket case back together, you need to check out parts availability and price before you go that route.

Also know where a Fantic 309 might be for sale, but the Yamaha is ready to compete on as is, Fantic would need some help.

a guy in this forum is selling his sherco,killer price even after shipping

carter if thats the money you have to work with the ty350 is cool its a monoshock there bullet proof as well.

I called jeff up about his ty350 and it sounds like a nice deal. He is asking $1250 but he said their is room to work. I was really excited about it untill I found out it had drum brakes. I have some experience with drums, and although they stop ok in the trails I think it would be pretty hard to do trials stuff with them. So unless these drums are like really really good (like almost as good as disk) then I"m probably not interested in the ty350. Let me know what ya'll think about the drums!

Thanks,

Austin

Your right, Drum brakes dont grab like disks (especially when wet), but you will probably need to make some large concessions given your small budget. Plenty of riders get used to the "differences" of these bikes and have a good time beating guys on more modern bikes. If you know you cant live with it, then thats cool-hold out for disks.

Guys, is it just me, or are there basically two schools for bikes... the new ones, hovering around 2k or more, then the vintage ones, like early 90's and sooner? never seems to be anything in the middle? only 90's bike i've seen was someone on here selling a 99 monty for 1800. Anyway, i've gotta have lunch then clean up the basement and garage.

Like I said drums are ok for trial riding but I don't think I could handle them on a trials bike. Right now I am selling my 1983 yz100 and replacing it with my buddy's 1986 cr125. The yz has full drum and it barely stops. The cr has disk in the front and drum in the back. So if I have to I'll wait until I find a good deal on something with disks, it just seems so discouraging that trials bikes are going for so much. I got my 99 wr400 (excellent shape) for less than jeff is asking for his ty350 and I know his bike it worth it, they are just going for so much money. Oh well I guess I'll keep looking!

Austin

Get a beater bike. If you can repair stuff, then that's the way I would lean. As a general rule, trials bikes are far more difficult to trash internally than big bikes. Don't worry about the outside, it will look terrible after a while anyway....

That actually what my original goal was, to find something that was an old piece of crap (maybe even not running) and fix it up so it ran and mess around on it, I would rather have something old that way when I bang it off the rock I don't care.

Austin

bang it off a rock? your gonna do alot worse then that. I was talking with a guy who used to ride trials who lives right near my normal ridding spot. Like alot of people he asked if i just ride it up into the truck (which i don't). Long story short, he mentioned how i was gonna drop it from alot higher up then the back of my truck (05 tacoma without the 4x4).

I should post a more current pic of my bike. It's looking a whole lot more beat up than the last time I posted it. I don't remember the last time I rode without having a big fall....

i have a beta tr32 runs but smokes like hell needs top end,crankseal,kickstartshaft,its a monoshock,but has drum brakes,if your a beginner so what?$300 you pay for shipping,new rear michelin tire and front fender

laser its actually an aftermarket universal vintage style fender looks stock $20 a rear fender is another story.correction its a pirelli tube type tire.and believe it or not the brakes are real grabby.great restoration project.

I should post a more current pic of my bike. It's looking a whole lot more beat up than the last time I posted it. I don't remember the last time I rode without having a big fall....

I know that you are much more advanced rider than I, and that you are in a more competitive environment(experienced riding buddies)- we all crash- but I sure hope you are backing off a little and letting your injury heal. Just ask some of us old timers about how these injuries come back to haunt later in life. Hopefully you can find a way to be challanged without as much risk- you have lots of time to enjoy trials riding and progress (youth envy:busted: ) Unless your after being a world champ by age 21, you might want to take it back a notch. Your very sharp for your age, so my hint to being able to still ride when your my age- SELF PRESERVATION.

Yeah, I know, I know.....

I went for my first real ride with Frutta and a couple others a couple days ago, telling myself the whole time that I was just going to take it easy. But then there's the big wall and :blah: . Can't resist! 👍:worthy::busted:

Thanks for the advice though. I'll try to remember it!

YZ did well controlling himself. We rode at a spot we have not ridden since early spring. He has progressed since then, so it was natural for him to ride tougher lines and bigger obstacles to test his new skills, which he did with ease, BUT, he did control himself with most of the tougher lines. Its not going to be easy beating him at the next couple of events!!

It was good to see him ride lines that he was afraid of 6 months ago.