Sign in to follow this  

Buying A Bike And Need Advice He!p

I have found a very clean 1986 KX 500 would this make a good play/trail ride bike. I have ridden some before (KZ 1000 back in 1982) and a Prairie 650 atv

That I own.

KX has $1500.00 in motor from kawi shop rebuild top/bottom

New rear hub was just installed. ASKING $$1000.00

If I do not buy this I have found a 2000 YZ 125 mint clean W/144 kit female owend for $1000.00 I could pass this off to my son nex year.👍

I had a 86 kx 250. One of the worst handling bikes iv'e owned.The 500 might be a hoot as far as power but nothing else.The 2k yz is way more modern.As far as the power? That takes some getting used to.

I ride a xr650r and a 03 kx 125. I can go faster on the 125 when it gets real ugly.

I owned the same year kx500, hated it at first but then manned up and learned to ride it. The power is almost all low end/mid range, the handling isnt great for trails at all although I did ride 1 cross country with mine. This ended up being one of my favorite bikes I owned (out of 28) but keep in mind its not for anyone. These things are best for open type terrain, and hillclimbs. As soon as you want to take it through tight trails you will hate it. Do try and test ride any 500cc bike to get an idea of what theyre like. They all have similar characteristics, hard to turn, headshake, vibration, hard on tires and chains. Thats a fair deal for that bike but keep in mind it might be hard to resale it if you dont like it. If you can afford to keep it in the stable as a spare or fun bike, go for it. For all around riding look into a 250 2 stroke.

my 2 cents worth..

I have found a very clean 1986 KX 500 would this make a good play/trail ride bike. I have ridden some before (KZ 1000 back in 1982) and a Prairie 650 atv

That I own.

KX has $1500.00 in motor from kawi shop rebuild top/bottom

New rear hub was just installed. ASKING $$1000.00

If I do not buy this I have found a 2000 YZ 125 mint clean W/144 kit female owend for $1000.00 I could pass this off to my son nex year.👍

The '00 YZ would be a much better choice, as it sounds like you are fairly new to the dirt scene (unless you weigh much over 200 #'s --- then the 125 may not be a good choice)

Its good to learn how to ride on a 125 or 250 4 stroke, because momentum is the key and you have to keep them spun -- they are lots of fun. The 144 kit really sweetes the deal

That big Kawi 500 would be a fun bike to have if it was in excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically. I wouldnt jump at one if it looked a bit like a roach because plastic is hard to get for them now. Nothing beats the rush of power they have under the right conditions, but they are not for starting out on

KDX200 would probably be better for trails. Open trails not as much though.

I found a clean 2000 KDX 200 sweet bike for 1250.00

2000KDX200rear.jpg

2000KDX200.jpg

SWEEEET! Put a fresh piston in it and you'll be good to go for a long time.(never trust how many hours are said to be on the piston.this is one with "very few hours")

DSCN4212.jpg

I'd like to put that motor in my kx.

frame, side panels, rear brake ass with stainless braded hose, axels, airbox,radiators, hoses with out looking at every thing I would say that there is more.

Thats a good looking KDX ..But like the others said, put a piston in it, grease the linkage and you should have a great trail bike for years to come..

If that 500 has verifyable shop reciepts jump on it. Yes the older KX's have the drawbacks, I own a built 88 KX250, but unless your racing for money or points, dont worry. They are plenty of fun for cheap.There are several places on the internet to reasonably buy parts from plastics to ignition for mid to late 80's KX'S. The KX 250 & 500 are the same design at least on my 88. The YZ125 you'd have to rev the pee out of & be on the pipe most of the time to get enjoyment out of it + it runs out of power quickly unless you're like 135lbs. Dont let that 500 scare you, just learn to ride it and respect it, it'll be a blast.