Sign in to follow this  

cams or Pipe?

hey. which one would give me more of a power gain stage 2 cams or a full exhaust system? also if cams i heard the exhaust cam doesn'st give you power if this is so can't i just buy the intake cams? thanks for answering all my stupid questions

Depends on what you are doing with the bike. The pipe I did first and it made quite a difference. Off road we did the Stage 1 on our '02 bike, that builds power in the mid range. Its easy to ride the torque curve up to 10 grand, then cog another gear and do it all again. I don't race this bike, but its capable.

Put cams. I have an 08 and put in just intake stage 2 and was huge improvement on top end. you will loose just a little bottom nothing major.I also have a two brothers pipe and I was supprised that there really is no gain in horsepower it just smoothes out the power band. I got a two bros cataloge in the mail and that what it says. And im sure most pipes are the same.Stage 1 is bottom and mid. also do a search there is tons of info on this.

both cams give you power, the intake is supposed to add more though.

if its a stock YZf muffler, then go with the Stage 2 cams

if its a stock WRf muffler, then go with the exhaust

when i got my stage 2s i didnt feel the power all the time, only sometimes i was like yeeehaw! but i think for more cam u need more flow so get an exaust aswell both work really well

when i got my stage 2s i didnt feel the power all the time, only sometimes i was like yeeehaw! but i think for more cam u need more flow so get an exaust aswell both work really well

they only give you more top end power. so if you lug the bike around, its going to feel like you lost power

All flow mods work together and can make major gains for some motors / brands. The YZ250F is already blessed with 3-valve intake, so you know it flows well stock. Just for a test I reinstalled my stock muffler and went for a couple of test rounds, and it was noticable. I left it jetted for the Dr D, and it didn't want to run as crisp with the stock setup. The Dr D seems to have more down low and up high, but there is a noise penalty. I made a Supertrap to go on the end of mine so I can ride in National Forrests with it. I have determined it is legal since the end cap is marked as USFS 100 and I can remove it and adjust it as needed. Its quiet in midrange and barks some on top. It is odd and adds weight, more than just a spark arrestor screen which is also legal. I get a lot of comments on it at the trailhead.

i wasny lugging it tho

oh, sorry, i didn't mean to insinuate that you were lugging it.

I was just saying it will feel less powerful lugging it. and you will really only notice/appreciate the hp increase if you rev that engine to the moon

whatevs i didnt feel much when i raced with them so exaust came nextand that made a hell of a lot of a difference

what could i do to restore or improve the bottom end after i put the stage 2 cams in?

FMF megabomb header worked great for me

or you can increase the CC, get an ignition.

it really doesn't suck much power from your bottom end