Sign in to follow this  

rotors

whats the difference in brake rotos? is it all about temp and cleaning out mud?? and what maked up a good rotor. surface space, vents, size?

The biggest differences are in the type of steel used and in the thickness of the rotor. Sure wave rotors clean mud out a little better, and look better than standard rotors, but they don't really perform much better. A good rotor such as a Galfer or a Braking rotor is a different type of steel than a stock OEM rotor. This actually grabs the pads better and gives you stronger breaks, though they do often tend to squeal when they are about to lock up (listen to a pro's bike at a national, you will often hear squealing as he brakes). They are also often thicker than stock rotors, but this is for two reasons, one it makes it harder to bend, and two, these rotors wear faster than stock rotors. Better performance normally means that the part wears out faster though.

Sure wave rotors clean mud out a little better, and look better than standard rotors, but they don't really perform much better.

I think the theory is that they wear the brake pads more evenly than a conventional rotor.

i dont know the theory of a better rotor but we changes from a stock kx rotor to galfer wave, and it was a automatic stiff touchy front brake,

very easy to do stoppies on, they always seem clean pad wear doesnt seem affected, overall i would say it was a good buy, the rear brake didnt seem to get any more touchy but the front wow doesnt require any force at all to lock up the front brake its very easy to just slow down with the front not even thinking you are pulling on the lever or hanging on it,