Sign in to follow this  

Radiator protection

I want to get some radiator braces that will hold up to side impacts dropping the bike over and from the front too. they need to work with the fan kit, and being able to fit a larger tank someday without issues would be nice too. I'm not so concerned with guarding the fins from the front because of the stock plastic but maybe I should be? Which braces work best:excuseme: I've been looking at the ones from enduro engineering, ktm hardparts and a few others

i use the ones from the ktm hardparts that are steel hoops that mount in front of the radiator, around the stock plastic guards, they work great. I used to run devol style guards on my bikes but I think they block too much air flow and also suck some of the cooling effect out of the air because they get hot also.

Check out the rad guards from Flatland Racing. I've not thrown the bike down in a big crash but they've done a good job in the simple tip over stuff I've had over the last year and a half. I like the fact that they also protect the front of the rads as I'm a bit paranoid of getting a tree branch poked thru the stock plastic protecters. They don't seem to cause the bike to run hot, they fit with a Clarke 3.1 gal tank and allow the fan to be used. You need to make a very minor modification to the fan to fit around the rear brace.

I want to get some radiator braces that will hold up to side impacts dropping the bike over and from the front too. they need to work with the fan kit, and being able to fit a larger tank someday without issues would be nice too. I'm not so concerned with guarding the fins from the front because of the stock plastic but maybe I should be? Which braces work best:excuseme: I've been looking at the ones from enduro engineering, ktm hardparts and a few others

Bulletproof designs are the best guards on the market IMO. Flatlands are also very good. Not sure about your "fitment"requirments though. Give them a call. I dont like the "braces" as I have seen many pictures of them that have failed.

www.bulletproofdesigns.com

Bulletproof designs are the best guards on the market IMO. Flatlands are also very good. Not sure about your "fitment"requirments though. Give them a call. I dont like the "braces" as I have seen many pictures of them that have failed.

www.bulletproofdesigns.com

+1 on Bulletproof Designs, I'm always doing some thing stupid near rocks and trees and these things are great. Not Stamped and folded, nut milled from a single billet of aluminum. They're not cheap, but they fit well, are easy to install and provided excellent front impact and side braced protection. You can custom order the machining and color too. 👍 I have mine on a 07 450 EXC with a 3.1 Clarke tank and KTM fan, no fitment problems.

+1 for the flatland rad guards.

Good protection (front & side impact) with "long narrow cutouts" in front that keep sticks/stones out but allow sufficent air to flow and cool the rads (I do not have a fan but I do have a coolent recovery tank installed... just in case).

+1 on Bulletproof Designs, I'm always doing some thing stupid near rocks and trees and these things are great. Not Stamped and folded, nut milled from a single billet of aluminum. They're not cheap, but they fit well, are easy to install and provided excellent front impact and side braced protection. You can custom order the machining and color too. 👍 I have mine on a 07 450 EXC with a 3.1 Clarke tank and KTM fan, no fitment problems.

Another hearty +1 for BPD guards. They are expensive, but I think they offer the best design and protection. I'm using them with the KTM fan and they fit perfectly.

+2 for BulletProof designs. Yes, they cost more but IMO they are worth the $$ because of the protection they provide. They are machined fromed solid billet, great quality product.