Sign in to follow this  

Lower end bearings??

I am going to split the cases on my bike (1998 rm250) to replace the lower rod bearing, crank bearings, needle bearing the clutch basket rides on and the countershaft sprocket bearing. They cost a lot of money from bike bandit so I heard that if you can find the sizes and type you can by generic bearings from KML or another source. I think I found the sizes for the lower rod bearing 24x30x20, clutch bearing 29x34x27, and countershaft bearing 22x56x15, these numbers where in the description in bike bandit. Are these the sizes? Also where can I find the sizes of the crank bearings and maybe the others? So anyone thats ever done this could you help me? thanks

Correct! You can find any bearing you need from sources like the Bearing Depot. The sizes you have now are wrong in a sense since bearing manufacturers don't follow standard sizing methods. On the side of the bearing there should be a series of numbers stamped into the race or something. These are the bearing codes and they are used for determining the size of the bearing and its internals as well the hardness of the metals involved. If you can't find the number then you will have to order from the factory. Also try partswarehouse.com or flatoutmotorcycles.com and use there microfiche.

Thanks. Can napa match up bearings if I take the old bearings to them?

yep i had them match up king cobra 50cc wheel bearings for me right before a race, they had them in stock 👍

take the old ones into napa and they should help you out FYI dont pick the young kid or the girl they will probably just tell you they dont have them, get the older guy that has worked there 10yrs etc.

how do the bearings match up in terms of quality? My 03 RM250 needs just about every bearing replaced and this would be a cheap alternative.

I found out what caused the crankshaft bearings to go bad. The bearings in the water pump grenaded causing the gear to round off the shaft and stop the water pump from turning. This made the engine overheat and destroyed the crankshaft bearings. And since it is that old every bearing in the lower end is worn out and the power valve will most likely need new bearings also. So I'm hoping I can remove all the bearings and label them so I know where they go and go to Napa and see if they would have all of them. Also how do I remove the two water pump bearings in the right side case cover? thanks

Is a 1997 bottom end the same as a 1998? I am bidding on a 1997 bottom end on eBay and I just want to make sure it is the same. thanks

Is a 1997 bottom end the same as a 1998? I am bidding on a 1997 bottom end on eBay and I just want to make sure it is the same. thanks

whats the bid on the crank up to?

I am pretty sure you can get a new wiseco hotrod crank for around $225 and I did see that the whole bottom and topend kit complete with bearings and gaskets is around $369 from motosport. They don't have a listing for 98 so you might have to go to wiseco.com

It is up to $14, with 3 days left. No reserve I would rather go this option because I have to replace every bearing in the lower end and the water pump assembly, most likely some gears in the tranny and the clutch plates. Also I'm going to get the cylinder re plated by power seal and a new piston and rings. The bottom end for sale has a 2 ride old clutch and there is nothing wrong with it, and if something did go wrong It would most likely be less than what went wrong with the one I have now. Also I like to have spare parts laying around.